1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fac73, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fac73

fac73 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Recently I have noticed sections of the display on my monitor are appearing kind of blurry

So far this seems to be confined to the top left corner and bottom left corner, which isn't rendering it useless just yet but it is getting annoying... at first I just thought I was tired :D
    But no, I slept 10 hours last night and it's the same... not blurred beyond recognition, for example I can see that it says "Tech support Guy Forums" ok, it's just blurred... by the words "Post New Thread" it is better, and by the words "Microsoft Internet Explorer" it is normal.

I have my favourties open on the left so I don't notice that so much, but I guess it will only worsen...

Any advice, is there anything I can do about this?

FYI my computer is on 24/7 asides from reboots, but I switch my monitor off when I am away from the screen - when I sleep, go to work, go out, etc.

Thanks in anticipation :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try another monitor as a first step.

3. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

Do you have any kids in the household? This kind of seems like a magnetic problem. When it comes to monitors, basically theres no fixing them...especially when they're as cheap as they are now-a-days.

4. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

Which monitor do you have?
    Is there a radio or any other electronic device which could be creating electromagnetic disturbance to the monitors tube?

If you have the monitors manual, look for the Degauss Function. Degauss your monitor. It warp your monitor display for a second. It just removes any excess magnetic charge on the tube. Basically demagnetize. (Gauss, is actually a scientist dude's name)

Also check if this blurring shows in the Safe Mode

5. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

What is ur display settings set at ? I hav similar problem on 1 of my old monitors. U might be able to clear the blurry spots up appreciably by changing to a 640x480 setting. It worked on mine.
    It is by no means a fix, but it sure makes it look alot clearer. Giv it a try. See what happens.

6. fac73

fac73 Thread Starter

thanks everyone for the replies :)

first, no second monitor to try,
    no kids either,
    no manual - i have an oldish nondescript second hand monitor that says nothing on it whatsoever

i havent checked in safe mode or changing the res because... whats really weird, is i actually left my monitor on overnight last night - i fell asleep without intending to - and it doesnt seem half as bad this morning - not entirely without blurring but a lot more bearable....

my monitor is old enought to warrant getting a replacement, i just cant afford that for a few weeks, so... guess i just have to wait and see how it goes..!

thanks again for the advice :)

7. rmay635703

rmay635703

Some old monitors get "tired" and the precision alignment of the electron beam gets messed up.

I've had several old monitors that need to be on at least an hour before they look clear enough to read.

By the sounds of it its a hardware problem but it is possible that your video card is going flakey just less likely

Cheers

8. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

Yeah, I doubt its the video card. I've messed with broken monitors on more than one occasion, and this defiently sounds like its something inside. By the way, if you decide you cant stand it, or it gets worse *DO NOT* try to fix it. Get a new one. Monitors can hold alot of stagnant voltage. (and it hurts, trust me :))

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice