1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harlequeen, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harlequeen

harlequeen Thread Starter

I have just replaced an old computer for a friend, updating the tower and keeping the mouse and monitor, the keyboard connection was not ps2 so got a new one of those. When I plugged the old monitor in, the boot sequence displayed, as did the splash screen for win me, but then all we got was a series of colored lines. Not solid lines, but moving ones, (hard to explain). The monitor is really old, would the display properties not be compatible. I think I had it set to the highest setting when I was testing the computer at home with my newer monitor.

Is there anything I can do to get in to amend the settings.

Thanks in advance for your help

Harlequeen

2. juztin

juztin

what is the make and model number of the monitor?

also, i had a problem like this once but it wasn't the monitor, it was the video card.

3. labman

labman

Hi - I think your suspicion is correct. The display settings you used when connected to your own monitor are too high for the old monitor. They are "out of range". You need to reconnect the PC to your newer monitor so you can see what's going on then, once you can see the display settings again, wind them back to the minimum screen resolution and refresh rate. Close down then connect the old monitor again - you should be able to see the display now. You can then reset the resolution and refresh to the best that the old monitor can handle.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Safe mode uses the minimum values - temporarily, so start in safe mode and reset the monitor to a lower refresh rate/screen size.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice