Monitor problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

coachdan32

I have a Dell computer with a trinitron monitor. Lately after a shut down, when restarting the computer, the monitor will pop, go black for a second, and then restart. My gut feeling is that the monitor is going bad. Is there anything else that could be the problem or is my assumption correct? I have an extra monitor, but it is not as good. Is it OK to use this one until it finally goes out completely or can it cause other damage? Please advise on my best course of action...

coachdan32 said:
I have a Dell computer with a trinitron monitor. Lately after a shut down, when restarting the computer, the monitor will pop, go black for a second, and then restart. My gut feeling is that the monitor is going bad. Is there anything else that could be the problem or is my assumption correct? I have an extra monitor, but it is not as good. Is it OK to use this one until it finally goes out completely or can it cause other damage? Please advise on my best course of action...
Hi coachdan32,

It may be arcing inside the case - i.e. where the high voltage line enters the tube. Take it to a local tv/monitor repair place to both verify that is the problem and get it corrected.

-- Tom

coachdan32

Would that explain why it does it at startup only? After it is up, the problem doesn't happen anymore. At least it hasn't yet...

coachdan32 said:
Would that explain why it does it at startup only? After it is up, the problem doesn't happen anymore. At least it hasn't yet...
Overtime electronic components experience degraded reliability from normal wear and tear just like any other products. It might be that your Sony Trinitron monitor is like my mother's Sony Trinitron TV which went south. The cause was a well known card that had seen its end-of-life.

On powerup, lots of energy is needed to bringup up e.g. motherboards in computers, and no doubt your monitor may have an electronic component that is seeing the beginning of the end.

If you are able to bring it up at all, it may be able to stablize for a while, but the question is for how long before it STBs!

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online