Monitor problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MrBusy

I am having a similiar problem with my monitor. I can restart my computer and am unable to read the dos prompts at start up. It will not let me see Dos at all, and my Bios is unable to be accessed. I am however to get to my appropriate windows screen. I have tried another monitor on my hard drive and everything works fine. I don't understand the nature of my problem as I am able to get to windows and not the other applications. I need to change my BIOS so it recognizes my 3-1/2 inch floppy vs a 5-1/4. I do not want to keep changing monitors. Is there something I am missing to cause what is going on?

Post split from: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/431846-screen-black-no-color.html

It sounds like it is the monitor. If another one works, why not keep it permanently?

You might try booting up in Safe Mode and removing all Monitor entries from the Device Manager.

When Windows reboots it will redetect the monitor and install a standard plug n play configuration for it.

You should replace this by going to the Monitor's vendor site and getting the proper "driver" file from there and then use the Display Properties > Monitor > Update wizard to install it.

MrBusy

The other monitor belongs with another hard drive. It is not a spare. I will try the safe mode trick, but have been unable to boot up in that as well. I will post back in a few moments if it does and try to understand the rest of what you just said.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Is the problem monitor real old? I had a similar experience with a Gateway 2000 monitor.

MrBusy

Well I was correct about that because it is the Dos screen unavailable to me to choose where safe mode is. Am I to understand that by removing all monitor issues under My Computer.....Propeties.....Monitor that it will reload?

MrBusy

The other monitor is almost identical to this one that I tried. Mine will be 3 years in April, the other is about 7 years old and works great, and precisely why I bought another just like it. It is a KDS VS190is.

MrBusy

Yes it has worked fine up until about a month ago. I never had an issue with it. I have also uploaded or reinstalled any drivers to do with my Video and Monitor now, and still have the same issues. I do not understand why it is ok with getting to my Windows but not anything else. If I shut down my computer, I am forced to restart several times for Windows to come up, yet eventually it does.

And this monitor performs the same way when attached to the OTHER system as well?

If so, it's the monitor hardware and nothing else -- except perhaps the cable if you are using the same one.

MrBusy

Yes the monitor is acting the same on the other system. That has to be the problem, just seems odd it suddenly quit. Thanks for trying to help.

MrBusy

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Not odd for a monitor to suddenly quit at all.....when they die, they die hard :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online