1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dc, Nov 11, 2001.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dc

dc Guest Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Lately I have been having a problem with my monitor starting up when I turn the computer on. For about thirty seconds or so, I get a scrambled picture like bad TV reception. Then it clears itself up and is fine the rest of the day. It's a Dell E551A monitor that is a year old if that helps. I'm worried that it's getting ready to crap out. Any thoughts?
    Don

2. deuce

deuce

wow... a lot of people with moniter problems this week. People will chime in with advice to help you fix your problem, but you might want to consider following THIS thread as you try to fix your own problem. It seems like a real similar problem and you guys could maybe combine brain power in solving your own problems.

[edit: sorry don't have any other ideas to help right now]

3. ismusbe

ismusbe

I dont want to ruin your day. But starting about two months ago I had the same problem, scrambled upon startup and would clear itself up after about 10 minutes. But then i noticed it took longer and longer, and now when i start up my comp it is just black screen. BUT oddly enough, if i managed to start a game, in this case NBA live 2004, it would work fine even right after i started the computer up with scrambled or black screen. Now though, the scrambling is starting to happen right after i start up and turn on nba live.....no idea if its a monitor, video card or mobo problem. Ive updated all drivers..still no avail, but going to try out swapping monitor and stuff.

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Could be the video card or even the CRT power supply. Try a new card, and if it fixes it then it's time to start looking for monitor sales. I saw a nice 21" for 169.00 the other day...

5. Holly3278

Holly3278

Is this an LCD Monitor or a CRT Monitor? Not sure that it matters but I am just curious. Anyway, I would definitely check the monitors power supply and also make sure everything is plugged in nice and tight. You might also try updating your Video Card drivers. I love my LCD Monitor and I have only had problems with it once or twice and all that was is the screen was a little scrambled when it first came on. Turning screen off and then turning it back on fixed the problem. Not sure why it did that but I'd say it was a input data error to the screen.

6. ismusbe

ismusbe

The monitor is a LCD, a Viewpanel VA800. All drivers are updated, and the problem only happens either if the computer goes into standby mode after disuse for a couple hours (I turned the feature off to avoid this problem) and when i turn the computer off for a period of time...like over night.

So tonight ill try going into bios and changing video output to onboard and see what happens tomorrow morning. Ill update tomorrow on whats happening.
    Thanks for the input so far

7. ismusbe

ismusbe

UPDATE:

Ok so this morning check my computer, which is now in onboard video mode, and i get the same thing- scrambled screen for about 20 minutes and then abruptly "fixes" itself and goes back to normal. Then I restarted with AGP video mode on and no problem. So I think this rules out video output from video card as a problem. Next step is check out the monitor power supply, also I'm going to try and get my hands on another monitor and try to recreate the problem on that one.

Wish me luck

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Don't check that power supply by yourself unless you are a trained tech! Even if it is unplugged it will hold enough juice in it for a month to fry you! Your best bet is to sub the monitor for another one, or try that monitor on another computer ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice