1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Monitor Problems, Response Problems, Lots of Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hermanthewerman, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hermanthewerman

hermanthewerman Thread Starter

Hi This is my first time posting, and I have a lot of things causing problems with my computer, but to start off, here are my specs.

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-4770s CPU @ 3.10GHz
    8 Gb Ram Corsaire Vengence 4x2
    64 Bit
    AMD Radeon HD 7700 GDDR5 1Gb (two of them w/ crossfire)
    2 Tb 7200 Rpm Seagate HDD
    z87-g45 Gaming Motherboard
    Case: r5 Gaming Full size case
    Power Supply: Corsair AX860
    Fans: Rosewill Hyper Silence CPU fan, 2 stock front fans, 1 stock in back

So, to start off, I built this computer myself 2 years ago, and it has been running steadily without too many problems along the way, but earlier last year it began to have some much bigger problems.

Issue 1. Monitor Issues
    I say this is a monitor issue, but i really doubt it has anything to do with the monitors them selves. What is happening every once in a while (about 3 times a week) the screens of my monitors will cut to black (it doesn't matter what I'm doing) and stay black for a few seconds before revealing the task bar at the bottom of the screen, and then the rest of my desktop slowly reveals itself. I've tried updating my video card drivers, but that hasn't helped.

Issue 2. Keyboard and Mouse Become unresponsive (System isn't frozen however)
    Sometimes if I leave my pc idling in the lock screen, the keyboard will stop working, and when I come back, I can't log in. I can tell my computer is not frozen because the slideshow in the lock screen keeps moving and I can move my mouse (but not click with it.)What I found interesting in these occasions was that the Caps Lock key still lit up when I pressed it. I have tried unplugging and plugging back in the mouse and keyboard, but all that does is make the keyboard unusable (I can't press the caps lock) and the mouse doesn't show up anymore. Both Issue 1 and 2 are only fixed with a system reboot.

Issue 3. System Freezes
    This problem happens the least out of the 3, and happens out of nowhere (like the other two.) I might be working on something, and when I look back to my computer, it is completely frozen. I can't move the mouse or press any buttons, and the task manager has stopped updating its processes (I keep it open at all times.) This issue is also only fixed with a reboot.

These are some of the issues that are most prominent with my system, I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I can provide more clarity if need be.
    Thank You

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you are having video problems, the very first thing I would do would be to pull out your video cards and connect to the onchip video. See if you still have the problem. Note you must uninstall the amd video drivers and software and install the intel video driver.

Next have you monitored your temps and voltages? If not, do so; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. I never use msi boards so I am not sure if msi has monitoring software for your board. If they do, download and install. Post the info here from both a no load condition and when stress testing ie running prime95 or IBT [both free downloads]

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should have included this as well. How to properly uninstall your video cards and software.
    1 With the cards still installed, go to the support page for your mb. Download the intel video driver
    2 Uninstall ALL software for your cards ie driver, CCC suite, etc. Do not reboot; just tell it later.
    3 Shutdown and pull your cards. Connect the monitor to the onboard video port
    4 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1. Reboot when prompted.

4. hermanthewerman

Ok to start with the video card voltage and temperatures.
    No Load:
    CPU Temp: 40c
    System Temp: 29c
    12V: 12.056V
    5V: 5.000V
    3.3V: 3.344V

When Using Prime95:
    CPU Temp: 67c
    System Temp: 32c
    12V: 12.056V
    5V: 5.000V
    3.3V: 3.344V

I will continue with trying the onboard graphics cards soon.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Temps and voltages look ok. Max temp for that cpu is 71C so it is not overheating.

6. hermanthewerman

ok so I have removed my cards, and uninstalled amd drivers. I have also connected my monitors to the onboard motherboard, and have installed the onboard video drivers. I am not really seeing a difference yet, but that might be because there really is no way to test whether this worked, since the problem comes when ever.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Let it run for a while and do whatever it is you do when you encounter the issue. If it runs fine for a few days, you know either one [or both] of the cards are bad, a bad motherboard slot, or perhaps a voltage drop when using the cards. Once you ascertain whether or not it works in the current config, then further troubleshooting may be needed.

8. hermanthewerman

I have noticed off the bat that Issue 2 is still taking place. What happens is if my computer is idling in the lock screen, and I try to login, My keyboard stops registering my keystrokes. I can tell the computer isn't frozen because the caps lock still lights up, and I can unplug and plug back in the keyboard and it will play the connection sound. I can also move my mouse around but not click anything. Any thoughts?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In device manager, have you checked that the keyboard is not set to "Allow windows to turn off" This is under keyboard/properties in device mgr.
    One other thing. I would boot the system with a linux live usb and see if you still have the same issue. If you do, you know you have a hardware problem ie mb, etc. If it works fine under linux, then you know it is a windows/driver problem. I would use a mainstream distro for this task ie either linux mint or ubuntu.

10. hermanthewerman

I have checked the device manager, and the item is checked, I have also run with linux unbuntu, and did not find any problems with the login.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then you know it is a windows/driver problem. I would do the following;
    1 Make an image of the system drive. Store this on a second hd, external drive, NAS, etc.
    2 Go to the support page for your mb. Download the chipset/inf driver, lan driver, sound driver, intel video driver, and any other monitoring software from the support page. Store these drivers on a flash drive; it will make the install go MUCH easier.
    2 Clean install win 10. Boot from the install dvd or usb. Delete ALL partitions on the disk.
    3 Install drivers in the following order; chipset/inf driver reboot when prompted, install sound, lan, etc reboot when prompted. Install the intel video driver.
    4 Have the system run for at least a few days in the above config. If ALL of your problems are solved, then install your video cards one at a time.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

13. hermanthewerman

I have done some digging on my cards and have found that they have been giving the same fate to other people. I am going to buy a different card to install once I do a clean install.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would get a single card. I am not a fan of sli or crossfire. It is not new technology; in fact it dates from the mid 90s.
    IMO you get better performance from a single high end card than two mid-range cards.

15. hermanthewerman

Ok I successfully clean installed windows 10 on sunday, and the computer has been running smoothly since (knocking on wood). I havent having the black screen problem or the screen freezing. I will soon get a new graphics card, but I'll be trying nvidia instead and only buying one card. Thank you for all your help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice