1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Problems!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hdurr1, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hdurr1

hdurr1 Thread Starter

Just in the last week or so, my display has gone funky. The top 2" appears to be upside down or bleeding. I have to fish around to be able to hit the "X" to close out or the - bar to minimize. When I do a screenshot, everything looks fine. The problem doesn't show. I have had this computer for a long time, with no problems, and am sick to my stomach thinking that maybe my monitor is taking a dump. The monitor is 9 years old and is about 31". You can see why I love it. Wondering if anyone can think of something that I can try instead of having to pitch the monitor. Here are my systems specs:
    System model: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363
    Mobo:Board: 8363-686A
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 01/10/2001
    Video Card:NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro [Display adapter]
    Monitor:Gateway Destination DL27 [Monitor] (30.9"vis, August 1996
    Running XP with 512 mg memory. It's an AMD Athlon 900 megahertz
    Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

2. winbob

winbob

Welcome to the Forum.

The fact that a 'screen shot' show the CORRECT image says to me that the Video card is NOT the problem.....

and that the monitor is.

sorry!

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

A nine year old monitor :eek: I'd say you got your money's worth in these days. I have one from 99 that is starting to show those signs too :( I really NEED a 19" LCD anyway :D

A 31" monitor in 1996 :eek: That must have set you back some SERIOUS dinero at THAT time :eek: I didn't realize they made them that big then. Mine is a 21" Gateway, and I really like it :(

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Agree with the above.

What you will be seeing is the top of the image "folded" over onto itself, due to a failure in the deflection circuitry in the monitor.

5. hdurr1

hdurr1 Thread Starter

I was afraid that might be the case. Actually, I got a really good deal on the monitor. The guy wanted $500 for it and I had a brand new 17" that I sold to someone else for $300 so the big one only cost me $200 in the end. Sure wish I could get another like it. Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There were some 17" monitors (new) sold here last week at $99 NZ (thats $66 US)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice