1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cecilia Roswell, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cecilia Roswell

Cecilia Roswell Thread Starter

I am in my finals! and the screen of my monitor is black, does not have a cursor flashing either, my computer works fine but I cannot see what I am doing. Is my monitor gone or I can fixed myself. It is a troubleshooting problem? Couple of times I disconnected the cord from the computer and the screen come back, but as soon I move the mousse, went black. This does not happend anymore, still black I was able to see that the screen said something like RESTORE YOUR DESKTOP .... If you are wondering, I already checked all the connections. Please, I need your help, let me know what are my options, or what can I do. I will really appreciate your concerns about it. Thanks a lot. Cecilia.

2. SyscoKid

SyscoKid

Does the monitor have a little green light glowing on the front, indicating it is getting power? I have seen several types of monitors with poorly designed power cord receptacles, where it looks like the power cord is connected to the monitor, but in reality you have to jiggle it a bit to make a connection.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try this if you have Win98.

Shutdown and restart. Press and hold the ctrl key immediately until the Boot Menu displays (I'm assuming you can view a DOS screen).

From the Boot Menu, select the "comman prompt" option. At the c:
    \> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a started registry which predates your problems from one of the 4 registries in the window.

If this does not correct your problem, try choosing "safe mode" from the Boot Menu. You won't be able to access the internet, but you will be able to do some work and further troubleshoot the problem.

Does it happen immediately when the Desktop loads? Try right clicking on the Desktop and remove the check for Active Desktop>View as Web Page, for starters.

If you get an error message you can read, click on the "details" tab and note the modules and address involved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice