1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rameam, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

I recently was given a CTX VL500 monitor. I want to use it on an old IBM computer (155MHZ). When it first comes on, it looks pretty good, but when I bring up something like hearts or free cell, it is really out of focus. I have experimented with the settings on the computer and the monitor, but it doesn't seem to change. I can turn the brightness and contrast way down, and it will come into focus, but it sure would be nice to have it bright.
    I went to their website and asked them about it. They want to know what color quality, screen resolution, and refresh rate I'm running. I assume the color quality is the setting that is 16 bit, 32 bit? Screen resolution is like the setting that is 800X600 pixels. The refresh rate I am not familiar with. Can someone check my 'work' and tell me if it is right or wrong and how to check the refresh rate. Thanks

2. active95

active95

To find out the color quality and screen resolution do this:
    On an empty space on the desktop , right click and choose Properties from the drop down menu.
    New window will come up called "Display properties". Will see several tabs . One of them ( last one of the right side of the window ) is called "Settings".
    Click on Settings tab ( one left click ) and will see a pic of a monitor in the middle and under that pic will see " Screen resolution " and " Color Quality".
    When it comes to the refresh rate try this..
    In the same Settings window in which you see the Screen Resolution and Color Quality will see a radio button called " Advanced". Click on it , once and a new window will came up.
    That new window should have several tabs as well. One of those tabs is called Adapter and one is Monitor. Click on the Monitor tab and should see a " screen refresh rate".
    If you don't see it, then click on the Adapter tab and should be there.
    If it's not , then might wanna d/l an utility like PowerStrip ( link here http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm ) which will tell you the current refresh rate , screen resolution and color quality "after installing it.
    HTH

3. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice