1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paperladee, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paperladee

paperladee Thread Starter

I brought home two old monitors from work . . . both worked when I brought them here, now when I plug them in . . . nothing. Any suggestions on what to check? What are the odds of getting them to work. Both are CRTs.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Slim and none if they don't work now.

3. winbob

winbob

A little thin on details!

Are there any indicator lights on, on the monitors?

All cables plugged in right and tight?

Not plugged into a switch controlled outlet that is NOW off?

4. paperladee

Yep, I was thin on details! Sorry. There are no indicator lights on, on either monitor. All cables were plugged in right and tight. And I don't have any switch-controlled outlets at home. I just hate to throw anything away that might be useful. It is like there is no power there, but there is power there (plugged in to CPU and to wall outlet). Didn't know where to start to check for "blown fuse" or whatever. Also don't know the "dangers" if any of unhousing a monitor to look around. Thanks for your help!

5. Perfesser

Perfesser

What screen size are you using on the computer to test them? (1024x768, 800x600.).
    Depending on how old the monitors are they may not support anything over 800x600 or possibly 640x480. One indicator is the number of controls on the monitor; if it has only 3 the odds are it's 640x480 only. Try testing with a computer set at 640x480. If they don't come up on that they are bad.

6. winbob

winbob

Perfesser,

"Conservative, Republican, NRA member" isn't this a little redundant? :D

By the way, which NRA magazine do you get? Hunter or Rifleman?

7. winbob

winbob

Paperladee,

An important point was subtley raised by the Perfesser.

Older Monitors can be damaged by connecting them to a Video Card that set to Specs beyond their capabilities, for Refresh Rate, Resolution, etc.

Try the monitors back at the office or AFTER you set the specs on your PC way DOWN.

But no lights ON doesn't sound good. :( (n)

8. Friggerpants

Friggerpants

Try them at a diferent power source?

9. paperladee

Hmm, I guess y'all are gonna say women are always sketchy on details . . . well, these are old monitors that were connected to Macs at work (and I've got an old Mac here that I was connecting them to). One Mac I was using was a G-3, the other is older, like a 7186 or something like that. But the monitors were working when they were removed from use. Out of three I brought home, just one has worked. The others act as if there is no power when I know there is. One worked once, then the next time I plugged it up, nothing! I know, just chunk them in a dumpster somewhere, but I hate to do that. The old G-3 is one I was using at work and got it connected to an old black and white monitor for grandson to play with (type up school reports, etc.) as they do not have a computer at home. His mom usually lets him do that at work on her Mac, so having one at home that he can download his report to, take it to her job and print it out there, will certainly help some. The other 7189 oir whatever it is, I was just gonna have as a backup and something to play with when this PC is on the fizzle. Call me cheap. I'll take it!! :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice