1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor randomly dies/video card probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by haplo210, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

Yet another problem with my peice of crap i call the "computer".

I got a new monitor at xmas, hoping to solve the problems i was haveing with my old one too no avail however.

Sometimes when im playing games etc it just looses the signal from the computer. Im using a 9800 pro 128MB graphics card, and cant understand why this is happening. The computer is still running fine though. It just wont display anything. Why could this be? I only got the card 3 months ago, it shoudlnt be doing this. It also at random intervals decides to artifact and under both circumstances i have to switch off for a while and wait before it will work again. :mad:

Things ive checked.

The card i sseated properly.
    uninstalled it and reinstalled it
    using latest drivers.
    Using Direct X 9c
    On board VGA automatically disables when AGP card is plugged in.
    when uninstalled it seems to run fine from the motherboard connection (Hence im thinking dodgy card)
    The car dis connected to the power supply as is nescessary.

Im totally stumped here. I can live with the situation but its not ideal, especially whe im playing gamesa and it just dies on me. Its as though the card is stopping sending the signal to my monitor.

Could this be a dodgy card? If so who do i contact about it? The place i bought the card from, or the manufacturer??

Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

The one thing I don't see in your spec is the monitor but if it's new it has to be the prime suspect. Have a look in Control Panel>Display>Monitor and see if the refresh rate is right for your card. Did the monitor come with its own drivers and is it showing in Device Manager as a problem item?

3. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

its not showing as a problem item in device manager. Its model number is EM-170 TFT dunno who its from, got it at xmas. I was having the same problems with my old CRT monitor so i dont think this could be it, ive just started to play the games again, hoping it was th emonitor, but doesnt seem like it. Refresh rates at 75 Hz so it should be fine for the card.

4. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

it was just a case of plug it in in placeof the new one.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all have you ever overclocked the card or tried flashing the bios of the card?

What type and wattage of power supply do you have installed?

This has been a problem with some ati cards. See this thread over at the rage3d forum Monitor thread

6. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

ive never overclocked anything on my computer. Dont know how too. Ill admit i am using the omega drivers but thats as far as it goes ,dont know what half teh functions do so dont touch them lol. Ive got a q-tec 550watt power supply from novatech, it is cheap, but should be fine just now, it was to replace a very weak one a while ago when i first bought the card as it didnt hav eenough power.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From you sig and post I see two very big mistakes and or problems; 1 foxconn mb and 2 cheap ps. Foxconn is noted for being one of the bottom feeder mfg. The ps you posted is one of those cheap 500+ watt units; they just do not work well.

If you want to run a high power video card, you need quality hardware. I cannot emphasize this enough; quality hardware and properly installed software do not crash, lockup, blue screen, etc. BTW I have been running an ati 9800xt for about 8 months without any problems at all. I do run high quality mb and ps.

8. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

i knw the mobo is a piece of crap, its getting uprgaded, parts are being purchased at 12.01 tonight after i get paid, getting a gigabyte mobo. The psu i cant upgrade untill afterwards, giong to have to make do untill next week, broke again till then.

I know the psu isnt great, but the voltages it runs at arent to far from what it should be. I will get a new one when i can actually afford too.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A new board, clean install, and a new quality ps should fix your problem. As a test, have you tried running the card at 4X instead of 8X? A lot of via chipsets just cannot run 8X reliably. I have had to do this to a few systems with via chipset boards; not just cheap boards either.

10. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

im thinkiong i may be able to afford one tonight, depends howmuch tips i have to collect today...plus i get a student loan in a few days time...will see how much i have. What can you recommend? im thinking either enermax or thermaltake.

11. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

its not even that quality a chipset i have........sis....741....eeek.

Im getting a nforce2 gigabyte board. Hoopefully XP should be arriving today or tommorrow. Had to buy a new copy of it. expensive stuff. After i upgrade this lot it better work fine. lol.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those ps should be ok; good brands are Antec, Enlight, Enermax, Coolmax, and Sparkle. For a budget go with either Enlight or Sparkle. Just a note some Sparkle ps are made for servers ie 24 pin atx connectors instead of the normal 20 pin. Just make sure which one you are ordering. BTW I use a Sparkle 550W server type of ps in my system powering 4 hd, 3 optical drives, raid card, video capture card, and an ati 9800XT. No problems at all.

13. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

cant purchase sparkle ps over here, im in the uk so restricted slightly more with what i can buy. I can buy enermax though. wil have a look and see how much more its going to skin me.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One more item, make the wattage at least 350-400W.

15. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/313194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice