1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor randomly turns off and on..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ambient182, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ambient182

ambient182 Thread Starter

it all started when i changed my x1050 radeon for a geforce 8500 gt video card..... then all this started happening... oddly a friend of mine also has vista and has the same problem when he used his galaxy geforce card... any help would be great and sorry for the trouble

2. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

what size power supply do you have??

3. ambient182

500 watts power supply.. its a new case... as for my friend i think he has the same 500 watts power supply... i just updated my driver via nvidia website and am hoping the problem would go away

thanks for your time

4. ambient182

just after i posted the reply my screen just turned black and on again so that answers my question about the driver theory.... as for the turning off and on part i would describe it as one giant flicker from time to time... i usually lasts less than a second and is pretty annoying when im doing work on my pc

thanks for your time

5. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

do you have the same mother board maybe you could try updating your bios
    its most likely not PSU problems as you have a 500 and it only requires a 300.

make sure everything is up to date and see if you still have the problem

6. ambient182

ill try that... as soon i figure out whats my motherboard... its already a year old i forgot what model it is
    but anyways thanks for the advice

7. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

no problem this program will tell you about your board

http://cpuid.com/ good luck i hope this helps you out

8. ambient182

thanks i cant thank you enough.... ill try it out and post if the problem still continues

9. ambient182

sorry after updating the bios the problem still continues... im using vista by the way... and ive heard that nvidia has problems with vista... might this be one of them?

10. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

could be a problem with vista when does it usually happen are you playing games during this time. you could try getting a different driver just to make sure you do have the latest drivers from nvidia oh and by the way what is the model of video card your friend has ..

11. ambient182

the giant flick is random, sometimes its with games,sometimes its when my desktop is idle.... but ever since i updated my bios the flick happens less now.... also i have the latest driver for my video card, my friends video card is a galaxy 7 series.. i dont know the exact model... sorry but his problem happened just when he upgraded to vista for his computer

12. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

try putting the other video card back in see if the problem continues

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice