monitor resolution

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnkil

I have a 17"KTX monitor (several years old and I do not have a driver disc for it - not sure that I ever had one)) and have just upgraded from windows 95 to 98 SE. Now I cannot get a resolution on the monitor better than 640x400 (16 colours - no other option shown). I am in big trouble with my daughter who is trying to do her uni assignments!!
Suggestions please,

start>control panel>display>setting>advance>monitor

the monitor type it list right there should be default or standard type. try to change it to plug and play monitor.

You will need to find out what type of video card you have and download the current driver for that card. you can find out what kind of card it is by the same way as posted above, just exchange the 'monitor' for 'driver'.

Post back with your type of card and for further tips.

johnkil

Thanks folks - my adapter/driver is aopen sis6326, chip type 6326 revc5, dac type interna, mem 8mb,software version 4.0, current files sis 6326m drv,*vdd,sis6326m.vxd
Hope that this can help,
Thanks

when you installed W98
did the 'new hardware detected' wizard run for the monitor?
- and installed whatever it could for the monitor?

here's the link to aopen driver page - it looks like it's near the bottom in the PCI table, the SiS 6326 2D/3D

that opens to another window where you select your OS - i downloaded the W98 version and took a look, the files are the same as what you posted, but with these dates

see if you can find them in windows explorer using the find files feature - just to make sure they're newer than what you have
sis 6326m drv = 05/01/99 date
sis6326m.vxd = 07/12/98 date

you could update the vid drivers once you've downloaded them, windows will tell you if these files are older than what's there

where did the current driver come from - the W98 cd?

johnkil

Thanks JBCALG
I downloaded w98r225a.exe from ftp.aopen.com and w98 then found that driver (I assume!) and now I can get 4 color options -256 with resolution 1024x768 works fine - but, for some reason, lower resolution causes the screen to partition vertically or to continually scroll sideways! - but 1024x768 is OK! - many thanks to you and to "anglin-fool" and "p5m10g"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online