1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor rings, ears bleeds.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Narcosynthesis, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Thread Starter

Ok, my ears don't really bleed, but it's pretty bad. Here's the deal-

My monitor (INSIGNIA, what one exactly I don't know nor know how to find out) makes a horrifyingly high pitched ringing noise if I turn up the resolution too high. This occurs mainly in games, but sometimes on the desktop, too. Turning the resolution down immediately stops this. I've solved the problem, I know, but I'd like to know more about this and if there's a way to fix it as I like my games as pretty as they can get. ;D

I've put the refresh rate down to 60hz, as that's the only fix I could think of, but the sound persists.

Not sure if it could be related, but my video card is an ATI X850XT.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It sounds like you are pushing your monitor out of range. If you are not, then you have a big issue that only a new monitor can fix.

Maybe if you want to toss money into something that is considered disposable maybe you could get the thing fixed......maybe.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Skivvywaver is correct, the deflection coils are resonating when pushed beyond their design limit or due to their age.

There is nothing you really do, you need a monitor appropriate to or capable of using the settings you use.

The above presumes it is a CRT monitor and not an LCD, which you fail to mention.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice