1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor: Running lower res @ fullscreen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Psycher, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Psycher

Psycher Thread Starter

Hello. I'm curious as to why my monitor, an acer 1080p, will not run certain resolutions fullscreen.
    For example, 1776*1000, which is the same aspect ratio, will only run at that many pixels on the screen, it will NOT stretch to fill the entire screen area.
    Same for other resolutions, 1600*900, etc, and the lower it gets, the more black around the edge of the screen.

It uses the literal resolution as far as pixels are concerned, it does not scale it up after to fill the screen space.

This is the first monitor I've had that does this, and yes, it is the monitor. The effect happens even when I'm only on the desktop, should I change windows resolution.

I've looked into AMD's CCC for a setting that might allow the stretch but found nothing, and there's nothing in the monitors own basic settings that does it either.

I mainly ask this due to games/applications that I can not run at full resolution. Reducing the resolution in game to take load off of my aging GPU takes the monitor with it, loosing precious screen space.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some monitors will simply not scale. CCC does have some scaling options under the Display tab, maybe you just need a different/newer driver version to get that setting. You neglected to post the exact monitor model number, video card model, and operating system.

Try 1366x768 or 1360x768, most monitors can use that fully scaled to the full screen.

3. Simba7

Simba7

Why are you running it at such an odd-ball resolution? I would've went with 1600x900.

Aging GPU? Which GPU do you have?

4. Psycher

Psycher Thread Starter

Radeon HD 4850.
    Don't know the exact model number, could find it at home when I get back but didn't think that much was important, simply given that I'm only passingly curious about general solutions that might work.
    The odd resolution was my best guess to get slightly reduced stress on my gpu, while still at the same aspect ratio AND giving me a majority of my screen area with minimal blackness.

[edit] besides, the number is odd sure, but computers don't care.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I edited the last line of your post Psycher, please remember this a family oriented forum.

I'd try sticking to more common resolutions. Model numbers are useful to get manuals and to do research.

Install the latest AMD CCC and drivers from here for your operating system: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Is the monitor connected via VGA, or DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort? The CCC scaling may only work correctly with a digitally connected monitor.

6. Simba7

Simba7

The computer doesn't care, but the monitor does.

7. Psycher

Psycher Thread Starter

If I may ask, how? It's just numbers. 0's and 1's. Why should either computer or monitor have preferences on which numbers of pixels they can send/print per line and how many lines it can make? It will compute either way, that's how coding works.
    [edit] and here's where I profess my ignorance. I still don't understand it and still don't have the problem stated 'solved', but I did manage to get the monitor to scale, though only under 1440*800. Would still like to know if there's much to be done about anything higher than this though. Honestly at that point it's not even worth messing with, I'd just reduce the graphics in the first place and run it higher.

Btw, I'm running DVI with all current drivers, CCC, etc (unless there's something to be said about manual ACER downloads beyond Windows Update's versions, but I don't trust manual driver downloads unless I need to).

8. Simba7

Simba7

Um.. There's alot more to it than just that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

..and actually, it depends on the graphics card drivers, too.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice