1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor(s) Lose Signal After 10-15 Seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coughli6, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coughli6

coughli6 Thread Starter

Good evening all,

My Computer Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate
    ATI Radeon HD 4770
    Corsair 750W Power Supply
    4 gigs of Ram
    2.24GHz CPU

I've been working on my computer for about a week trying to figure out this problem, but have not been able to produce results. The problem began when I was playing World of Warcraft. Randomly the graphics froze on both my monitors and the same second of sound was looping. I turned off the computer and waited about a minute until I booted it back up. The fan on my card was revving for a few seconds then decreased speed and it kept doing that with nothing coming up on either screen. I let it sit overnight and started it up again and the bios loaded up, but by the time I got to the Starting Windows screen both monitors lost signal.

I had a partition of Ubuntu so I loaded that up and the monitors did not lose signal and I could only presume the graphics card was working but I had no way of testing that. I decided to format and reinstall Windows 7, but still the same thing happened. I reflashed the BIOs and that didn't work. When I use my onboard video card everything works fine. I tried going into BIOs and changing the Video settings to both Auto detection and Onboard detection but neither fix the problem of the monitors losing signal. If i only have one monitor plugged in it still loses signal no matter the slot it is plugged in to.

I also completely uninstalled and reinstalled the ATI drivers multiple times.

I brought my card over to my friends and plugged it into his system which has a 650W power supply, and everything worked just fine. Since I had a 500W power supply for the ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics card I have and figured I was undersupply it for about a year and maybe that was the problem so I invested in a Corsair 750W supply. I just installed that and installed everything properly but still, the monitor(s) lose signal.

I'm out of things to try and I have looked all over the internet and have found nothing that helps me in this particular situation. If anyone has any advice it would be beyond appreciated. Also if any additional information is needed from me, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice