Solved Monitor says Display port is connected but turns off

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheJoker17

I have tested another monitor with my pc and that hasn't worked and used a laptop with my monitor and that has worked, this has led me to believe the problem is with the pc components (graphics card?) As the HDMI cables seem to work fine except when connected to my gpu. The led on my gpu is turned on. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

crjdriver

You are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact video card, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.
If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#

Is this a new build that has never worked OR is this a system that was working and now does not? Have you added any new hardware?

What [if any] troubleshooting have you already done?

TheJoker17

You are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact video card, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.
If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#

Is this a new build that has never worked OR is this a system that was working and now does not? Have you added any new hardware?

What [if any] troubleshooting have you already done?
System components:
Cpu : Intel i5 10600k
Mobo : Asus prime z590-A
Ram : G.Skill Ripjaw V series black 16GB DDR4 3200mhz
Gpu : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC
Psu : EVGA Supernova 850w G5 80+ Gold Full Modular
cpu cooler : Xigmatek Aurora AIO 240mm

Monitor :
Samsung Odyssey G7 27"

Hi there, thanks for letting me know and sorry I didn't know which forum to put post my thread in, so this is my first pc, and I bought it off a guy maybe a month ago and it was working perfectly fine for the entire time but recently there were a few stutters here and there, I went out to get a cake and came home to find my monitor could not find a signal from the pc when connected via display port to gpu. By trouble shooting I assume you mean I tested out where the issue lied? I checked the monitor was working fine by using a Chromecast and by connecting my laptop to the monitor which was working normally, but the strange thing is I had another gpu on hand and when I put that into my pc. It also was unable to get a connection when plugged in with display port cable or hdmi. As they both worked over the previous month I struggle to think of what else could be the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

crjdriver

That is a pretty decent set of parts. First of all, are you comfortable working inside the case?
If so, do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Open the side cover and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical [if you have any optical drives]
3 Pull out any add-in cards including your video card. Note there is a latch or lever that must be depressed to pull the video card out. Do not just yank it out; you will break something
4 Connect the monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard
5 Reseat ie remove and reinsert both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors
6 Remove ALL ram. Reinstall a single ram chip in whatever slot your motherboard manual says to populate with a single chip
7 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, hub, whatever. Leave the keyboard connected
8 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC using the clear pins. Do this for a minimum of 10 seconds
9 Reinstall the pw cord and pw ON. See if the motherboard will POST. If it does, shutdown and repeat once or twice to make sure it really works. Now start connecting parts one at a time until you find the problem. If the board will not POST in the above config, then you are going to have to swap parts with known good units for testing

TheJoker17

That is a pretty decent set of parts. First of all, are you comfortable working inside the case?
If so, do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Open the side cover and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical [if you have any optical drives]
3 Pull out any add-in cards including your video card. Note there is a latch or lever that must be depressed to pull the video card out. Do not just yank it out; you will break something
4 Connect the monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard
5 Reseat ie remove and reinsert both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors
6 Remove ALL ram. Reinstall a single ram chip in whatever slot your motherboard manual says to populate with a single chip
7 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, hub, whatever. Leave the keyboard connected
8 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC using the clear pins. Do this for a minimum of 10 seconds
9 Reinstall the pw cord and pw ON. See if the motherboard will POST. If it does, shutdown and repeat once or twice to make sure it really works. Now start connecting parts one at a time until you find the problem. If the board will not POST in the above config, then you are going to have to swap parts with known good units for testing
Hi there,
So I have performed a clean of my CMOS and that worked out as now I can access my BIOS, and when plugging back into my gpu everything works as I still am able to access my BIOS, now the issue I am having is that in BIOS, it doesn't register my name ssd as containing my operating system as it won't let me select or it doesn't show as letting me boot from it. But when accessing my storage in the BIOS it shows Windows from my C drive indicating that the OS is still there, I've had a previous issue where I accidentally deleted everything in my storage and had to download windows again through a USB but when it asks to redownload Windows into a storage/partition it says "on EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"
Thank you for the previous help

TheJoker17

Hi there,
So I have performed a clean of my CMOS and that worked out as now I can access my BIOS, and when plugging back into my gpu everything works as I still am able to access my BIOS, now the issue I am having is that in BIOS, it doesn't register my name ssd as containing my operating system as it won't let me select or it doesn't show as letting me boot from it. But when accessing my storage in the BIOS it shows Windows from my C drive indicating that the OS is still there, I've had a previous issue where I accidentally deleted everything in my storage and had to download windows again through a USB but when it asks to redownload Windows into a storage/partition it says "on EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"
Thank you for the previous help
Ok, I messed around in the BIOS and somehow got it to load my original OS in the SSD, thank you for your time and I really appreciate it. Have a good year everyone hopefully everyones doing ok and staying safe.

crjdriver

You are welcome. For future reference, you are able to mark your own thread as solved using the button at the upper left of the page. No need for this one; I will mark it for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online