Monitor Screen goes black when playing games

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Juliiana

Hi, there's been a problem with my monitor for a few months now. When I try to play Genshin Impact, it unexpectedly makes the screen go black. This hasn't happened until last 2 months. But when I play other games such as Minecraft, the screen doesn't go black. I've tried researching for solutions but I couldn't find one as I am not an expert regarding PCs. Your help will be much appreciated!

Here are the speculations of my PC:
It is a custom build.
GPU: GTX 1070
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Installed RAM:16.0 GB
I have tried some ways to solve the problem:
I've made sure the cables are not loose and it is not caused by power loss.
Tried reinstalling the game.
Made sure the drivers are up-to-date.

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display adapter > right click on driver and choose Update . See if that helps.

Juliiana

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display adapter > right click on driver and choose Update . See if that helps.
I have tried that solution, but it says "The best drivers for your device are already installed".Thank you though!

Tanis

Shane
I assume when you say you have check the drivers, that you went to the NVidia Website and download the latest drivers directly from there? Just get the Drivers, you don't need all the extra stuff like the GeForce Experience etc. Don't rely on Windows to find the latest drivers for you :)

What is the exact make, model and wattage of the power supply?
What is the exact model of the motherboard?

Juliiana

I assume when you say you have check the drivers, that you went to the NVidia Website and download the latest drivers directly from there? Just get the Drivers, you don't need all the extra stuff like the GeForce Experience etc. Don't rely on Windows to find the latest drivers for you :)

What is the exact make, model and wattage of the power supply?
What is the exact model of the motherboard?
Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Motherboard Model: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

note: I am not sure how to find the wattage of the power supply.

Attachments

Tanis

Shane
Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Motherboard Model: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

note: I am not sure how to find the wattage of the power supply.
Thanks

Unfortunately the Motherboard Model as provided by the TSG tool is useless as it is, it only tell us who the manufacturer is. Gigabyte Technologies produce a vast number of motherboards.

Can you download and install HWInfo64 from here:
Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS

When you run it you will get a small window up like the one below. Ensure the the Summary-only option is checked and then run the program.

1626796913666.png

You should get something like the screen below. Please screenshot it and post in a reply here.

1626796990724.png

Juliiana

Thanks

Unfortunately the Motherboard Model as provided by the TSG tool is useless as it is, it only tell us who the manufacturer is. Gigabyte Technologies produce a vast number of motherboards.

Can you download and install HWInfo64 from here:
Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS

When you run it you will get a small window up like the one below. Ensure the the Summary-only option is checked and then run the program.

View attachment 289467

You should get something like the screen below. Please screenshot it and post in a reply here.

View attachment 289468
Here:

Attachments

Tanis

Shane
Thanks

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 (y)

You appear to have two Hard drives:
1) PH5-CE120 which is a LiteOn MU 3 120Gb SSD
2) Apacer AS340 120Gb SSD

Both those drives are pretty small and I would suspect you are running low on space.
To check the PSU you will need to take the side off the case and have a look at the unit itself. It should have a panel on it with make, model, wattage and other information. If you can find that info it would be very useful.

Something a bit like the image below:

1626809970166.png

Also, please go to the Gigabyte website here:
GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) Gallery | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Open the Utilities Section, select Windows 10 64bit from the dropdown menu and look for the following applications, then download and install them.

1) App Center version B20.0506.1 - This should be the first one on the list.
2) System Information Viewer version B19.0325.1

When you have both of those installed run the System Information Viewer. When it is running look for the System Alerts section on the left side, can you screenshot that page for me please.

Also, please download and run the TSG System Info Utility (link below in my signature). Run that and either screenshot or Copy/Paste all the information into a reply.

Juliiana

Scroll down that page and you will see a +Utilities section. The two programs above will be listed in that section.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20210616160446.000000+480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (38 GB Free); D: 111 GB (41 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z170X-Gaming 3, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I ran the System Information Viewer but its stuck on this:

Attachments

Tanis

Shane
Thanks.

Both of your hard drives are getting full, C Drive at 80% and D drive at 77% full, this wont help thing and will slow down the machine.

Did you install the App Centre first?

Juliiana

Thanks.

Both of your hard drives are getting full, C Drive at 80% and D drive at 77% full, this wont help thing and will slow down the machine.

Did you install the App Centre first?
Yes, I did. But it's still showing the same screen as before.

Tanis

Shane
If that wont install then there are likely some other problems.

Can you install HWMonitor from the following link?
HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

If yes, please install and run that then screenshot the section showing all the Motherboard information.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online