1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Screen Off Center

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fooath, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

New here so please be gentle. (not to computer literate either)

I just bought a new monitor, now that I got it started up it seems like the screen area is messed up. There is a black line on the left side of the screen a centimeter or so wide and it travels vertically along the entire screen. Same problem on the left side, except slightly smaller.

If I use the controls to adjust the width and length it just moves the visible portion of the screen "through" the black portion.

I tried my best to explain what I could, any help is appreciated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the monitor have little pictures that look like tv screens showing which one needs to have a light under it to expand the monitor sideways?

What's the brand of the monitor?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start by using the controls to reduce the size of the screen as much as possible. It sounds like you have "foldover" from an image that's way too wide. If you start with everything shrunk down as much as possible, you can then adjust it properly without any ambiguity.

4. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

It is a KDS. It seems like what I am seeing is the actual viewing area. Which is smaller then the screen itself. When I adjust the height and width it expands past the black, but the black remains. And a small white dot shows where the screen *should* be showing up.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I must wonder if the monitor may be defective.........for example, and I'm not into centimeters, but right now I have a monitor that is dying.....there is about an inch and a quarter on each side, and no matter what I do, it remains the same.....every once in a while, it will expand to its normal size........but I know that it is on its way out........but it's about 6 years old or more.........

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you tried all the buttons, and the are tricky sometimes and it would fill the entire try this: go into device manager and remove any monitor you listed there. Now reboot, it should find the monitor again and install a "driver" for it, probably just the plug and play one, but thats ok. Now see if you can adjust the size. it could be that the monitor does like the refresh rate or somethign like that. look through the manual to see how the buttons on the monitor work. The viewable area on new monitors is the full size of the screen.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice