1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor screen turning yellow?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Christopher06, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Christopher06

Christopher06 Thread Starter

I have a Samsung monitor, which I've had for about 3 years now. Recently I've noticed the screen loosing quality, with tinges of blue overlapping the image. I've recently moved into a new place, and suddenly the screen is yellowish tinge. I've played with the wires, and the metal needles in the hookup don't look damaged or anything. Could it be a settings issue? Any possible solutions to this problem?

2. lister

lister

CRT screen? Check the cables VGA & power are connected properly - disconnect and clean the pins). It could also be failing due to old age, but 3 years is not that old!

It could also be one of the electron guns is out of alignment or failing - if you have the option to add more blue via the monitor settings (or maybe the graphics card) do so.

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

check the pins and see if there is one bent and touching another pin - i had a similar issue on a friends Pc and the pin was bent - but still plugged in OK

4. Christopher06

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

For a colour purity issue, look for things with permanent magnets in them (such as speakers).

AC devices with transformers in them can cause picture "shake" but not the symptoms that you describe.

Remember that if you have moved it relative to the earths own magnetic field, then degaussing may also be needed.

Monitors do an automatic degauss if powered OFF (not in standby) for at least 10 minutes, then powered on.

Otherwise it could be an electronic fault in the color section of the monitor, but you need to try it on another PC first to eliminate the PC video as a cause.

6. Christopher06

It turns out the field is from my stereo speaker, which was placed right beside the monitor. I've moved the speaker, however the problem is still occuring. I tried degausing and it doesn't do anything, but what did you mean by automatic degausing? Should I just turn my monitor off for a while and see if the problem fixes itself now that the magnetic field is removed? Thanks.

7. Christopher06

The screen temporarily stopped having a yellow cast over it after I unplugged and replugged it in. However, it soon returned just a couple seconds after. I've checked the pins a dozen times and they all look fine. I don't know what to do.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Whenever the monitor has totally "cooled down" and is repowered, a degauss occurs.

Its a relatively low level one, but successive cold starts should correct and magnetic impurity effects.

But as it is OK new when powered on, but then reverts, it sounds more like a failing electron gun or drive electronics.

9. Christopher06

What are my options then?

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

New monitor if its a hardware issue in the monitor. Usually cheaper than repair.

But try it on another PC first.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/498994