1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor screen turns black after certain amount of time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jchsu, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jchsu

jchsu Thread Starter

Hey guys,

So I have an LCD monitor that's decently old (4+ years, but only 2.5 years of use). Whenever I turn it on, it works for a decent amount of time, sometimes up to 45 minutes to an hour. However, after that time, the screen will just turn black. My computer will still be running normally, I just can't see anything on my monitor. The LED on the monitor is still green.

If I turn off my monitor and turn it back on, it will work for X amount of time. X depends solely on how long I leave the monitor off for. If I turn it off for 10 seconds and turn it back on, the monitor will work for about 2 seconds. If I turn it off for a whole night, it'll work for about 45 minutes again.

Other monitors have worked with my video card, albeit they were DVI and not VGA (which is what my current monitor is).

So what is the problem? Is it because my monitor is too old? Is it fixable? Thanks.

Jeremy

2. DerekC

DerekC

When it goes black, grab a flash light and shine it at the screen. See if you can see anything that way. If you can, then it's the backlight that's giving you problems.

3. jchsu

jchsu Thread Starter

Nope, I can't see anything.

4. glitchmunki

glitchmunki

I had a similar problem - but it WAS backlight related.

I took the monitor apart and give it a blow out and it's worked fine ever since!

5. jchsu

jchsu Thread Starter

Meaning if you shined a light at the monitor you could still see things? What parts of your problem weren't similar to mine? Since it seems like you're saying our problems were close but not exactly the same. I'll give this a try when I get home though, thanks.

6. glitchmunki

glitchmunki

It was like my monitor was reverting to stand by or a low power status, as if it was unable to detect my input from the computer.
    I could still very faintly see the desktop in the monitor though and that seems to be where our problems differ.

7. jchsu

jchsu Thread Starter

Ah. Was your monitor LED still green or was it orange? Mine is still green so I'm really not sure what's going on.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/841192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice