1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor screens not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mikeweir, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeweir

Mikeweir Thread Starter

I own a laptop custom-made from Cyperpower that had its monitor broken several months ago (the glass was cracked and half the screen worked, while the other half just glowed white and black). Money was tight, so I simply replaced the broken LCD screen with an external monitor hooked up. This worked fine until one day the monitor wouldnt work anymore, as in the display would no longer shift to the external monitor. I replaced the external monitor with an older one I had in my storage garage. The monitor worked, so I figured the laptop didnt accept shifting the display for some reason. This incident occurred once more, but I researched a little bit, and used the Fn keys, and it switched the views back again. (I dont remember the combination, but I believe it was one of the keys between F3 to F6. Also to note, this "switched" the views over, and not just mirrored. The broken laptop monitor not longer lit, so it was probably inactive when the views switched.). Unfortunately, this situation has occurred once more. However this time, after trying many different Fn combinations, the laptop still does now switch displays to the external monitor. And the main, broken laptop monitor is not on either. Now both displays do not work, and I do not know what to do. I type this on another computer, and I hope the solution could be given. Thank you for your help.

My operating System is Vista
    Though not completely sure, I believe my video card is of an Nvidia 8200 series. The laptop still works, as does the external monitor. The monitor cable is attatched, so I can't replace it (to my knowledge). Everything inside is fine, and nothing seems lose or dislodged.

The monitor shows "no signal" when its unplugged, but goes black when it is, so I thinks its recieving.

I also just tried unplugging the battery and replugging after a little while, but it did not work either. [​IMG]

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It was probably Fn+F5

3. Mikeweir

Mikeweir Thread Starter

I tried every Fn combination I could think of. I am positive the key combination is not the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice