Monitor shows black Screen after turning on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gyvs

This morning, when I turned the PC on, the monitor only showed a black screen. It was working well last night though. Th PC seems to work normally as it seems like it reaches the desktop part with start menu and all the short cut Icons. I know this because after waiting for a while, I press the windows button then press "U" two times(it's the hot key for shut down and turn off). The light around the power button of the monitor keeps on blinking instead of a consistent light(this thing usually happens after turning the PC on while there's still power on the monitor until the AVR is turned off). There were no beep sounds and such when turning the PC as it never had those kind of sounds even when things are okay.

If this helps, the fan for the video card is still working as other fans as well.

What could be the problem? Video Card? Monitor? Monitor to PC connection? I probably just need to know which is the problem for now.

EDIT: I'm not very knowledgeable on hardware terms and I'm not very good at this stuff as well so I probably won't try to do changes on my computer by my own.

Check the easy things first: Monitor settings (maybe you flicked to analog or digital by accident), contrast (not likely but sometimes happens), if you have spare cables or a spare monitor, try switching them out to see if a different cable/display work correctly. Make sure all cables are seated correctly. Make sure your video card drivers are up-to-date, and make sure there isn't a corruption with them.

dai

what are you running
video card brand and model
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

gyvs

I don't have an extra monitor, but I tried testing my monitor on a laptop and it actually worked. Does this ultimately mean that my video card is broken? It hasn't been 1 year since it was bought.

I don't know the band or specs though. Sorry.

How long have you had this system at the current configuration? Hardware and software. Have you installed any apps or changed any settings recently?

gyvs

How long have you had this system at the current configuration? Hardware and software. Have you installed any apps or changed any settings recently?
Not sure how long but I haven't done any changes to any settings nor did I install any apps recently.

Ok, so the monitor/cable are fine. Does your motherboard have onboard video? Most do but some don't, but assuming your motherboard does, switch to the onboard video. This way you can access your PC to get information that will help us troubleshoot further. You can find your card model by typing "dxdiag" into the search/run box in Windows 7 (Start Menu, empty field at the bottom), after the program comes up click on the display tab to view the card. Once you know what card you have, uninstall your current drivers (this can be done through Device Manager. Right-click Computer, Select Manage, then select Device Manager and it will be listed under your display drivers) and re-install the correct drivers from either ATI or NVidia. Try your monitor on the graphics card again after the drivers are installed.

gyvs

Ok, so the monitor/cable are fine. Does your motherboard have onboard video? Most do but some don't, but assuming your motherboard does, switch to the onboard video. This way you can access your PC to get information that will help us troubleshoot further. You can find your card model by typing "dxdiag" into the search/run box in Windows 7 (Start Menu, empty field at the bottom), after the program comes up click on the display tab to view the card. Once you know what card you have, uninstall your current drivers (this can be done through Device Manager. Right-click Computer, Select Manage, then select Device Manager and it will be listed under your display drivers) and re-install the correct drivers from either ATI or NVidia. Try your monitor on the graphics card again after the drivers are installed.
How do I switch to using the onboard vide?

Should be a video input on your I/O board on the computer. Look where the USB and Ethernet Cable are.

dai

you need to remove the video card and it should then switch to onboard

gyvs

Should be a video input on your I/O board on the computer. Look where the USB and Ethernet Cable are.
Is the port for the onboard video at the top of the USB ports in the back? When I checked the ports on the back of my CPU, I noticed that it was connected on the VGA port at the top of the USB ports. I also noticed that there was also a VGA port directly on the Video Card. I tried plugging the cable on the VGA port on the Video Card and it seemed to work. Is it supposed to work this way? Did I just plugged the cable on the wrong VGA port?

When you install a 3rd party video card the system will generally default to that one rather than the onboard video.

EDIT: Do you unplug your monitor from the computer on a regular basis? Because I can't see why you would have suddenly lost picture if it was working fine before...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online