1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor shuts down to "No signal"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ImStormy, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

It has no pattern or time of day. My monitor will shut down to the "No signal" screen. I do not think it is the monitor because I can go to input on the remote and switch to TV or playstation just fine. I used your WhoCrashed app and got this...

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. This system is not configured for complete or automatic crash dumps. For best results, configure your system to write out complete or automatic crash dumps. Select Tools->Crash Dump Configuration from the main menu to configure your system to write out complete memory dumps.

Crash dump directories:
    C:\Windows
    C:\Windows\Minidump

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\102318-21465-01.dmp

Conclusion
    One crash dump has been found and analyzed. Only 0 is included in this report.

Event Viewer has too many to list. Any help would make you my new hero ;)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8190 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (661 GB Free); E: 465 GB (287 GB Free); F: 111 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., STRIKER II EXTREME
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not included the most important part; the exact pw supply installed. Do not post "500W" Post the exact brand and model# ie seasonic focus 800W or whatever.
    Next have you checked your temps and voltages? If not, do so. Here is a link to the support page for your motherboard;
    https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/Striker_II_Extreme/HelpDesk_Download/
    Download and install Asus probe. Once you have probe installed, post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V. Do this twice; once under a normal load and once while running a stress test ie prime95, OCCT, IBT [intel burn test]

3. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

You wouldn't happen to have an app that can get the power supply info? I removed the side panel on my pc case and the pw info is not visable.

I downloaded Asus Probe II and OCCT. Whatever happened to user friendly interface? I was ready to navigate this PC and follow your direction "old school" style. lol Then you give me this. ;) What is it you want me to do with these?

assus probe II snapshot.jpg OCCT snapshot.jpg

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is no program to tell you what pw supply you have; you have to read the info from the label.
    That is a really old version of probe; one of the buttons will display temps and voltages. When you get probe to display the relevant data, start OCCT [you click the ON button]

5. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

OK I have tried AP and OCCT and they are confusing. I installed HWinfo64 and Speedfan 4.90. Can you use these to diagnose my problem? I have added snapshots from AP as well. HWinfo64.jpg hwinfo sensors.jpg speedfan info.jpg AP Temp.jpg AP Voltage page 1.jpg AP Voltage page 2.jpg

6. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

I downloaded that version of Probe from the link you gave me.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What I meant was that you have an older motherboard and the version of probe that works with your board is one I have not seen in quite a while. That motherboard is now 10yrs old.
    Did you have OCCT running ie you hit the ON button when you posted the temps/voltages?
    Your temps and voltages look fine [as long as that was taken while running the stress test]

Next test your memory with memtest;
    https://www.memtest.org/

8. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

How long should I let OCCT run before taking a snapshot?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

At least 1min at 100% load. 2~3min would be better however 1min is usually enough to see if you have a problem with temps or voltages.

10. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

I could not get HWinfo64 to load with occt running. Speedfan ran with it though. I will do memtest now. speedfan during occt test 2 min.jpg

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those temps and voltages are fine. Your pw supply should be ok so now test the memory with memtest. Let memtest run for at least 1hr. See if you get any errors.

12. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

I have not run the memtest yet but the monitor went black like it normally does and then this message popped up in the corner after it came back to my surprise. Could this be the problem? display driver recovery.jpg

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, your video card can be failing. The nvidia 560 is pretty old now. Do you have another system in which to try the video card?

14. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

Yes but sometimes it will go a couple days before the problem comes up. I guess I could swap cards and see if the problem happens on this pc again while waiting to see if it happens on the other. Curious question, why now is it suddenly recovering from failing? It happened again just this morning, same message as above. All other times before this the monitor would just shut down.

Wow it just did it again the moment I sent this reply. Uggh

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice