1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Splitter Switch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snake~eyes, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes Thread Starter

Is there such a thing where I can have two comps hooked up to one monitor, and a switch to easily switch back and forth.

I've looked but haven't seen anything.

thanx

-snake

2. hewee

hewee

Yes a KVM switch.
    keyboard, video and mouse.

http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=36&scid=45

I have this one here.
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=36&scid=45&prid=134

Very smalland I have it set out of the way under the table. You have the button on it to change from A to B but you can hit the CTRL key twice real fast to do the same thing.

There are other brands but some don't come with cables so make sure yoi get everything.for the same price or less of you have to buy each part. Also I got mine at fry's and you can get it or others cheaper online.
    Mine can only be used on two PC's but you can get ones that let you have 4. 6 or more PC's hooked to the same keyboard, video and mouse.

3. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes Thread Starter

Awesome, thankyou so much, this is exactly what I was looking for.

4. hewee

hewee

Your welcome :)

5. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

hey, anyone know about those cables that you use with those? i just got a switch (not kvm, just monitor) and when i hooked it up using the 15 pin vga cables, my monitor got all funny on me. when i looked at the pins, my monitor's original vga cable actually only has 12 pins. one of the other vga cables has 14, and the other has all 15. why can't i use the 14 and 15 pin ones with my monitor?

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

The KVMs are about $60 for a small SOHO set with cables...

I have a KVM 4-way switch... ughly, but works like a charm.

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Kerri Ann

Depending on the quality of the cables, switch and video card you may have problems when you hook up a switch. Sometimes the extra cable length just makes the video signal weak enough or adds enough noise to give a bad picture output. The number of pins in a standard cable usually doesn't matter as some of the pins in the 15 pin connector arn't connected to anything. If the 15 pin cable fits you can try using it. Some companys remove a few pins and install blockers in the other connector because they want you to buy their monitors.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice