Monitor stays in standby at boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

springa

I have a Gateway desktop with windows XP. When I turn on the pc the monitor goes right into standby before I can see anything. The pc seems to be booting up just like it used to I can hear the fan and even the disc drives if I put a disc in. First I was told it might be the power supply, replaced that still the same thing. Then I was told it might be the video card replaced that and still no change. Oh and the monitor works just fine unhooked it from the pc and got the no signal thing then hooked it up to my laptop and it worked just fine. Any clue what the problem could be??

Hello

You have replaced the PSU and Video card. That leaves the CPU (possible it's bad but statistically at the bottom of the list), RAM and MB. If you have 2 sticks of RAM you can try one at a time. You can look over the MB to see if anything looks bad like a bulging capacitor, but really all you can do with the MB and CPU would be to replace them or try them in another system.

Also worth disconnecting all drives and add in cards (except the vid card). Sometimes a bad HD or addin card can do this.

Also,

Try the data cable on the monitor. Even with a bad cable it will still display the status message when disconnected like you are seeing. Try plugging the monitor into another computer or laptop to see how it functions.

Kevin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online