1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Stops Responding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HRHMychael, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HRHMychael

HRHMychael Thread Starter

Hi Guy,

Now here's the deal, my sister just received this computer on loan from a friend. It's a personally built computer. I haven't started it so i have no idea of the specifications and i haven't gotten a chance to talk to the person who gave it to her. So... i have limited information. But the problem is that i connect the monitor and it starts up shows the manufacturer logo, then goes to the Windows loading page and then after that is finish the monitor goes into to standby as if there is no signal going to it. I don't know what that means. The tower (from what i can see from the outside) does have a video card, and that is the connection i am using. When i use the standard connection it came with it doesn't repond from the very beginning. Anywho, any help. The Monitor does work on another computer i have it hooked up my laptop as i'm speaking right now. So i do know the monitor works.

So...

HELP!

Thanks,

HRH

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Can you start it in Safe mode?

3. HRHMychael

To make matters worse it has a wireless keyboard & mouse set... so there's no way for me to know if that is working... so i'm not sure if i could get it to start in safe mode, but i'll try... what F-Key is it, again?

HRH

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

It's F8 and just start tapping it as it boots. If it works you'll come to a screen with the safe mode option. I don't think it will with a wireless keyboard. Got an old PS2 board lying around?

5. HRHMychael

Nah... just the wireless keyboard and my laptop. I'll see if i can track one down on my spare time.

HRH

6. HRHMychael

Okay, the wireless keyboard worked and i got it to start in Safe Mode... What's next?

HRH

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Cool. Go to display and make sure it's set to 800 x 600 and 60Hz. This is just a test to see if your monitor can't accept the display attributes that this machine may have been set too. Try rebooting in standard mode after that and if it works you're there if not restart in safe mode and post back.

8. HRHMychael

No cigar... when i apply the new settings it send the monitor into standby.

HRH

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well the fact that you can get all the way into Windows in Safe mode almost rules out any hardware issue. Almost. It's likely a Windows issue or driver issue. You say you can't get hold of the loaner but do you know if it supposedly booted fine before it got o your house?

10. HRHMychael

Yeah, my sister was told that it was top of the line in terms of built computers. But i'll check all the drivers and stuff. I was just hoping to get it up and running before she got home, but i've got some other things to see about now. I'll come back if updating all the drivers and after talking to the loaner there's no answers.

Thanks for your help though...

HRH

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice