1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor stuck at 640 X 480

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marianne, Sep 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Have win 98, used to be able to adjust the monitor resolution but now it's stuck at 640 x 480 and color choices are only 2 or 6 bit.
    The monitor is a Delta Electronics model DC-770 BA and computer is 550 AMD K6-2. Any suggestions?
    marianne:(

2. lavigne

lavigne

Most often this type of problem is NOT caused by your monitor, rather it's a result of the video card drivers either being corrupted or improperly installed. Check Control Panel>System...then the Device Manager tab, and see if there are any warnings about your hardware. Look for "Display Adapter" and click on it once, then click "Properties. This'll bring you to a bunch of tabs, one of which will be "Driver". Click on "Update Driver" and make sure you either have the driver disk for your viseo card, or that you first get the latest drivers off the net. Once you click Update Driver, point the computer to the location of the drivers and it should pick them up and install them for you.

Once you have the video card drivers installed properly, you should be able to choose which resolution and colour scheme you wish to use for your machine. If you don't already have the option checked, go into Control Panel> Display and click on the Settings Tab and then Advanced. Check the box for "Show settings Icon on Taskbar", which will allow you to set the resolution and colour schemes by clicking on the icon in your systray...very handy to have. :D

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out.

:D

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Lavigne is correct, the video card drivers give you the available settings that your missing, not the Monitor or it's driver. If you have trouble locating the driver for your card, do this and we can help you locate them,

Start>Settings>CP>System>DeviceManager. Click on the "+" next to "DisplayAdapter". Now you should see the name of your video card appear underneath. Write down the name and post it to a reply here.

4. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

I tried updating video card driver but it made no difference. I still can't adjust the resolution. It remains stuck at 640 x 480. I have a standard PCI graphics adapter (VGA).

Marianne

5. brianF

brianF

Your going to need to install the video drivers again from the installation software that came with the card or machine or download new drivers and install them.

6. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Hi,

My husband ran stuff from CD which came with computer and installed SIS-6326 AGP card or whatever the heck that means. He tried to explain to me, but his recollection of the measures he took were vague. It's just awfull when one becomes a senior. Anyway, nothing helped and when he checked the properties,
    the message stated the thing was not working right or improperly installed or something. He's even reinstalled Windows 98.

How do I download new drivers and install them.

Thanks

7. brianF

brianF

8. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

I have downloaded 326w9x.exe and executed it.
    Now what do I do to make it be my driver?
    marianne

9. brianF

brianF

It's a self extracting file. Best thing to do is create a new folder on you hard drive name viddrivers. Cut and paste the file into the new folder you created. Once it's in the folder double click it. It will extract another folder called win95. Open this folder, run the setup.exe file to install.

Wasn't sure, I had to download it and look myself, never had a sis chipset.

10. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Okay, did all you suggested but not working. Here's what I get
    Device status:
    This device is either not present, not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed (code24)
    Try upgrading the driver devices for this device.
    I am getting very frustrated.
    marianne

11. brianF

brianF

Try this, restart the machine, just after the memory count and before the windows loading message, start tapping the f8 key, from the startup menu choose safe mode. Once booted up in safe mode try installing the driver again.

check this, from sis's web site

Question: How to get a resolution and refresh rate higher than a standard mode (640x480) under Windows?
    Product: SiS6326
    Category: Driver
    Answer:
    A standard SiS6326 driver is capable of supporting resolution up to 1600x1200 and refresh rate up to 120Hz NI. The level which one's system can support to, however, is not only determined by the driver but by the size of video memory and monitor type as well. Therefore, before deciding a display mode for your system, please make sure if the video card has sufficient memory and your monitor can support too. The procedure to setup the display mode you wish should be:
    1. Install SiS6326 driver.
    2. Select monitor type.
    3. Change resolution and refresh rate under "Display Properties".

As to monitor type selecting, many users do not know how to do it. The correct procedure has been listed below:

1. Go to "My Computer","Control Panel", "Display", "Settings", "Advanced","Monitor", then press "Change".

2. Select the monitor driver which matches your monitor type from the device list or you can provide the driver yourself by using "Have Disk" button.

3. After setting up correctly, SiS6326 Display Properties will only show those modes which your monitor can support automatically.

12. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Hi,

Things are getting worse. Starting in safe mode didn't help because I couldn't access the internet to download driver so I tried installing from driver we had downloaded. No defference.
    Now when I access settngs the message reads (unknown monitor) on (unknown device).
    Marianne

13. brianF

brianF

Oh brother how I hate sis.

Okay, first you don't need to download the video driver again. You already have downloaded it.

Now for the monitor, go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/ monitor, click on it, select the monitor, hit remove. reboot, let windows reinstall it.
    If it still doesn't install right go back to the monitor tab in display properities, hit change, follow the prompts, find your monitor in the list and select it, click okay, and install the driver.

If that doesn't work download your monitor driver dc 770.inf from here http://www.delta.com.tw/products/colormonitor/driver.htm once downloaded you should be able to right click on the file and choose install.

Post back after you get the monitor working properly again and well go back to the vid drivers.

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    And if all of that doesn't work, then my guess is you may have installed the wrong video card driver. The motherboard CDs that come with most systems have drivers on them for multiple motherboards and multiple video cards. You need to be sure which one you have before you use the CD and install one. Does the CD he used have any wording on it's label like maybe PC100 by any chance? Do you have a booklet that came with the PC whose cover matches the CD label?

15. brianF

brianF

One last thing, after you get the monitor normal, go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/display adapters, in Display adapters, are there two items now? Standard PCI and the SIS? If so, the SIS won't work until the Standard is removed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/52363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice