1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor stuck in 'orange light state' [hp pavilion 6735]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keyshawn, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keyshawn

keyshawn Thread Starter

hey,

i have a hp pavilion 6735 http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph05973.html

[btw, im running dual-boot of win-me and linux mandrake 9.0]
    [i dont think this is a linux related prob]

and the monitor turns on; but is stuck in an orange light state and will not go into green, the normal operational state.
    the actual pc hardware\motherboard\hd noise is usual and seems to operate normal.
    This occurred after I took out the motherboard and everything else and was about 2 put it in a new case [currently, on the old case the button broke and i did some soldering\sodering of the turn on wires and now the comp turns on when the surge protector turned on]

Anyways, the new case wouldnt fit, so i put everything back in2 place and the problem arose.

I tried using different monitors - same result. The gfx card and monitor input on the motherboard is intergrated, so i got an old PCI vga card [cosair - 1994] and tried to plug in monitors that way ---- Still had the same result.

I'm at a crossroads, confused what to do. Some others have said that my motherboard got 'charged' with static electricity and no longer works. [as a teenager, im not looking forward to buy pc parts worth $400; since a new motherboard requires new ram, since i have only 64 mbs of sdram, plus new gfx card, etc.]
    I already spent $20 on a new plug for the monitor because i thought that was the case [since 2 or 3 pins were missinng] and much time troubleshooting, calling people, searching for answers online - to no avail....:(

thanks for the help,
    keyshawn

2. dai

dai

check for any bent pins on the plug and the m/b
    do you get any beeps when you switch it on.
    you could try setting it up outside of the case to see if the m/b is shorting

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Not sure what you were soldering on the motherboard but you may have shorted something out. If you have the power wire shorted together on an ATX power supply so that the system powers on when power is applied that won't work. The power switch for those is a momentay contact. Holding the switch in (On) usually causes powersupplys to shut back off.

4. keyshawn

keyshawn Thread Starter

thanks for the quick replies;
    the only soldering that i've done is on the actual switch itself the black and red wires - near the button that you would press to turn on the comp ! [note: not near the power supply !]

i took out everything out of the case and tried to start up - i had the same result. I have used two different monitors, each with their different plugs. Both times, the same result happened.

thanks,
    keyshawn

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Are you using the same switch? The switch needs to make and break not be soldered on. You can also try removing the battery for a couple of hours or see if the board has a clear cmos jumper to reset it.

6. dai

dai

short the two power pins on the m/b where the where the switch wires connect and see if it is the switch or the wires connecting causing the problem

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice