1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor stuck in power mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MamaTia, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MamaTia

MamaTia Thread Starter

After restoring my desktop to factory settings and then rechecking to see if everything still worked, (it did....checked email and played solitaire) I gave it to a friend. When they hooked it back up and turned it on, the monitor just says power saving mode. Tried rebooting several times, moving mouse, pressing keys on keyboard, rechecking connections....nothing has worked. I am at a loss as to what is causing this. The computer is a 2005 Gateway running xp. Any help would be greatlly appreciated!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is there more than one place to plug in the monitor? If the computer has a video card and integrated video make sure they have it in the right one.

It may also be a loose video card or loose memory. Or even a loose video cable on the monitor end.

P.S. the monitor can display that message if the computer is in a power savings mode such as sleep(which its not), or if the monitor is not connected to a computer, or if the computer is not outputting a signal or a valid signal, or if the monitor is broken.

3. MamaTia

MamaTia Thread Starter

I will check with the new owners....they did transport it several miles. I'll check to see if it's a loose video card, cable, or memory. They don't know how to do that so I'll try tomorrow. I know it's not the power cords because all the lights are visible. I can also take them a different monitor. Thanks for the ideas!!

4. MamaTia

MamaTia Thread Starter

Problem solved....the video card was loose!!! Thanks bunches!!! :D

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you fixed it (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice