1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor stuck in power save mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by batterybrain, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batterybrain

batterybrain Thread Starter

My monitor is stuck in power save mode ever since i restarted my computer the other day. I've tried unplugging everything, repluging, and restarting. I was reading that sometimes the monitor wont get a power on signal from the PC if the lithium battery on the motherboard is bad, so i took that out. I've tried unpluging the RAM, starting it with just one stick, then the other and also starting the PC without either RAM stick in. However, when i did this it didn't beep like it should signaling that there is a problem with my RAM (because it was gone). I don't think its the monitor though because i can use it in digital with my xbox (computer is hooked up to the analog port.) I don't have another computer that I can try the monitor on in analog though.

A month or so ago my monitor started going into power save mode and wouldn't come out without a manual restart. I tracked down that it was happening only when i was using a lot of graphical power, so i opened up my PC and cleaned out the dust (of which there was a shameful amount) and put everything back together...problem solved. I think my graphics card was overheating due to lack of ventilation brought on by excessive dust build up on the cooling fans. Well now its doing it again, except permenatly and a restart doesn't fix it. I tried switching out my graphics card (nvidia 7950) with an old nvidia 5000 series card but that didn't help either. These are all the suggestions i've found browsing the forums so i was hoping someone else had an idea.

This also occured while i was having issues with my internet connection, here is the link to the post I put up over that issue (which wasn't resolved at the time of the incident), just in case there is some connection. http://forums.techguy.org/networking/964790-internet-randomly-shuts-down.html. My feeling is i have a bad motherboard but a second opinion would be greatly appreciated.

2. batterybrain

batterybrain Thread Starter

sorry too bump this but i have a really important paper to do today and all my info is on my pc. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Also it may be helpful to know that i think its my PC not booting up, because my keyboard lights never come on. Thanks in advance.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, you need to post your exact system specs ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, brand and speed of ram, what video card is installed, etc. Note if this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the exact make and model.

Unless we know what we are working on, it just about impossible to give you any advise.

This is just one reason why we stress backups so much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/966092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice