Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor suddenly can't get any signals

3K views 41 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
First off, I wanted to say I'm not sure if this is the right forums to ask this question since I don't exactly know what causes my problem so sorry in advance.

This is a pretty new pc and have been successfully turned on before. I was still changing around the settings in bio,mostly ram and cpu. I didn't download anything other than gpu driver and cpu z. On the motherboard's Amazon page a lot of people also complained about their board being bricked, but I don't think mine is, however since I'm a noob at pc (I'm literally new to building pc, I build this pc by watching youtube videos as I go so I doubt it's because something being misplace or anything) I can't figure out what's my pc's problem.

These are the last things that happened to my pc before it got blackscreen: Since the mb run the ram at 2666 or something like that in default, I tried to overclock it to 3200 since it's what my ram is capable of. My pc does something funny when I change settings in bios and try to save it, everytime when it's restarting, it seems like it will start and shut down automatically exact 3 times before it truly start but all the settings are unsaved, so i keep trying but what I just mentioned keeps happening and eventually I gave up and went to sleep. When I wake up this morning and boot my pc up, the monitor is blackscreen but everything else seem to work fine.

So far I've tried:
1.Remove my ram and reinstall them
2.Reset CMOS by remove the battery and reinstall it after around 30 seconds
3.Remove the GPU and reinstall it.
4.Remove the DVI, power supply's cable, and monitor's cable and repulg them.
5.Tried using the HDMI cable that comes with my PS4 instead of the DVI cable that comes with my monitor.
6.Start up my pc with only one ram stick
7.Start up my pc while the ssd and hdd are disconnected.
8. Update everything I could get on ASUS's website (BIOS, chipset etc)
I haven't tried resetting cmos with jumper pins since I can't find it at the moment.
This is my second time to have this problem, the first time I encounter it is when I just finished building this pc and tried to open it but I manage to solved it using the number 4 method.
But this time, nothing work, I'm a noob at building pc and pc in general so I'm pretty desperate right now.
PC spec:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor (YD170XBCAEWOF)
Motherboard:: ASUS Prime X370-Pro AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX X370 Motherboard with AURA Sync RGB Lighting
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) and WD 1 tb
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 04G-P4-6253-KR
PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W, Fully Modular
Chassis: The case already have the case fan.
Case :Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case
Sorry for my stupidity but I forgot the exact name of my monitor but it is made by ASUS.
After searching around I think it is either the ASUS VS247H-P - 23.6" LED Monitor - FullHD or the ASUS VP239H-P - 23" IPS LED Monitor - FullHD, but I'm not so sure.

See less See more
#4 ·
OK, you have some pretty decent parts. Do some basic troubleshooting. Do the following;
1 System OFF open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
2 Pull out all ram and reinstall a single ram chip in whatever slot your motherboard manual says to populate with a single chip. Be sure the ram is fully seated
3 From your list of parts, it does not appear you have any add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, etc. If you do, then pull out any add-in cards. Leave your video card installed however do reseat the card in the slot. Note modern boards have a lock or release for the video card. Be sure and press the lock before attempting to pull out the card
4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
5 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
6 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. Replace the jumper to the normal position
7 Now pw ON and see if the motherboard will POST. If it does, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, then you will need to swap parts with known good units ie motherboard, ram, pw supply, etc.

Ryzen is pretty picky regarding ram AND the ram is not going to run at rated speed unless you set speed, timings, ram voltage manually in the bios. Just setting the speed is asking for a problem.
Ryzen has incredible performance however to achieve that level of performance takes careful tuning in the bios. With an intel, you can just slap parts together and it works; not so much with ryzen.

I have two personal systems. A ryzen 1700x overclocked to 3.9gig on an asrock taichi motherboard and an intel 7600k overclocked to 4.5gig on an asrock Fatality motherboard. On a mulitcore benchmark, the ryzen system blows the intel out of the water; like the intel should not even have shown up. Literally doubling the cinebench cpu score. On a single core benchmark, the intel usually has a slight advantage [it is clocked quite a bit higher] however on any mulitcore ie cinebench, realbench, OCCT, etc the ryzen system wins hands down.

#5 ·
OK, you have some pretty decent parts. Do some basic troubleshooting. Do the following;
1 System OFF open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
2 Pull out all ram and reinstall a single ram chip in whatever slot your motherboard manual says to populate with a single chip. Be sure the ram is fully seated
3 From your list of parts, it does not appear you have any add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, etc. If you do, then pull out any add-in cards. Leave your video card installed however do reseat the card in the slot. Note modern boards have a lock or release for the video card. Be sure and press the lock before attempting to pull out the card
4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
5 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
6 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. Replace the jumper to the normal position
7 Now pw ON and see if the motherboard will POST. If it does, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, then you will need to swap parts with known good units ie motherboard, ram, pw supply, etc.

Ryzen is pretty picky regarding ram AND the ram is not going to run at rated speed unless you set speed, timings, ram voltage manually in the bios. Just setting the speed is asking for a problem.
Ryzen has incredible performance however to achieve that level of performance takes careful tuning in the bios. With an intel, you can just slap parts together and it works; not so much with ryzen.

I have two personal systems. A ryzen 1700x overclocked to 3.9gig on an asrock taichi motherboard and an intel 7600k overclocked to 4.5gig on an asrock Fatality motherboard. On a mulitcore benchmark, the ryzen system blows the intel out of the water; like the intel should not even have shown up. Literally doubling the cinebench cpu score. On a single core benchmark, the intel usually has a slight advantage [it is clocked quite a bit higher] however on any mulitcore ie cinebench, realbench, OCCT, etc the ryzen system wins hands down.
I can't perform step 6 since I lost my jumper cap. Also, unlike other boards that have 3 jumper pin, mine only have 2 or am I looking at the wrong one? Here's the official user manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1264753/Asus-Prime-X370-Pro.html?page=22

#6 ·
As it says at your link make sure the computer is off and the mains lead from the wall is unplugged, this is important. Then as it also says at the link short the 2 pins with a metal object like a small screwdriver for 5-10 seconds to clear the Cmos.

You can get the manual and drivers etc for that motherboard here :- https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk/

#9 ·
Then your memory is fine. As a test to see if this is a hardware problem [which it seems not to be] OR a software/driver/windows problem, boot the system with a linux live usb. If you have the same problem with linux, then you know it is a hardware issue. If the system runs fine under linux, then you know it is a driver/software, etc problem. You can use the same flash drive you used for memtest [as long as it is large enough] Use linux Mint or Ubuntu for this task. There are a LOT of linux distros however those two are the most mainstream and will setup all hardware for you. Linux live will not make any changes to your hard disk so no need to worry.

#11 ·
For any problems with a computer, it does help to use a speaker connected to the motherboard. The motherboard will send out beep codes through the speaker. Computer cases in the past include such valuable item, but modern cases don't. You can hook up any 8-ohm (up to 32-ohm) speaker to the motherboard's speaker header. The following is the beep codes.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1029959/

Make sure the video cable is connected to the video card that you installed which is the GeForce GTX 1050 TI. If you connect the video cable to something else like the connectors on the motherboard, then it won't work. Ryzen processors without the "G" SKU doesn't have built-in graphics. Make sure your video card is locked into the PCI Express slot. On some motherboards it takes extra force. If the video card has additional power connector, don't forget to connect it up.

I suggest for testing and ruling out an improper mount inside the case. Take the motherboard out and set it on top of the motherboard box. Connect the video card and power supply. Then power it up. You can use a screwdriver on the power switch pins to turn on the computer. It only needs a second to cross those pins.

Assuming the computer monitor doesn't work. Hook up the computer to another monitor such as a TV. Buy a few HDMI cables which will assume the cable you are using is damaged or faulty.

Technically, your memory CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 rated speed is DDR4-2133 not DDR4-3200. Corsair tested this memory module at speeds of DDR4-3200 on Intel 100 series chipsets and up. AMD chipsets is not included. The CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 will probably work better, but every motherboard is different. In this case the speeds varies from motherboard and to the next. A BIOS update is required in order to achieve high memory clocks and be compatible with most memory.

#13 ·
Your ram may or may not be able to run at 3200 however it will never run at that speed unless you setup all parameters manually in the bios ie speed, timings, and vdimm or ram voltage. With an intel, you can just enable xmp and the ram works; not so much with ryzen. Ryzen has incredible performance however to achieve that performance, it takes careful tuning in the bios as to ram, cpu mulit, bclk, cpu voltage, etc, etc.
My ryzen 1700X actually runs the ram at faster than rated speed due to overclocking both the cpu multi and the bclk.
So your answer is a definite maybe.

#14 ·
Post #9 was for another thread; posted here by mistake.
My pc does something funny when I change settings in bios and try to save it, everytime when it's restarting, it seems like it will start and shut down automatically exact 3 times
This is normal when an attempt at overclocking fails. The bios resets itself to defaults. That is why you do not see settings saved.
Your motherboard was one of the very first released for the ryzen processors. The very first thing you do with one of these is to update to the latest bios. There have been a LOT of updates to improve performance and stability. Note with some boards, you must update to a "bridge" bios first before updating to the latest one.

#15 ·
Post #9 was for another thread; posted here by mistake.

This is normal when an attempt at overclocking fails. The bios resets itself to defaults. That is why you do not see settings saved.
Your motherboard was one of the very first released for the ryzen processors. The very first thing you do with one of these is to update to the latest bios. There have been a LOT of updates to improve performance and stability. Note with some boards, you must update to a "bridge" bios first before updating to the latest one.
But I wasn't overclocking it though, I just set it to the speed that it supposed to run, I read what you post so now I understand what I done wrong. However since I am a noob at pc, I have no idea how to set the things you mentioned, is there any guide?

#16 ·
Technically 3200 is an overclock for that ram. The ram Vdimm voltage should be set to 1.35 Volts so check that is correct then set everything else for the ram and the Cpu to defaults and see if it gives a display on the monitor then.

#17 ·
is there any guide
Your motherboard manual. Each bios and often each revision/update has different menus/options. First read your motherboard manual; then attempt to set ram speed, timings, and voltage in the bios. Many boards have xmp which does this automatically and it works fine for intels; not so much for the AMDs.
Personally I never use xmp; I much prefer to set all parameters manually.

#18 ·
Your motherboard manual. Each bios and often each revision/update has different menus/options. First read your motherboard manual; then attempt to set ram speed, timings, and voltage in the bios. Many boards have xmp which does this automatically and it works fine for intels; not so much for the AMDs.
Ok, thank you

#20 ·
Hey
Hey man, it seems like my jumper cap is too short for the pin, or is it that I didn't push it hard enough?

#25 ·
No, there are only two pins labeled CLRTC; the other two are labeled T-sensor. Read the motherboard carefully and follow the procedure outlined on page 1-8.
If you still cannot figure out which pins; they are the ones on the top.

#27 ·
Use a small screwdriver. Be sure the system is unplugged prior to clearing RTC. Once you finish, reinstall the pw supply plug and pw ON. You will need to set any custom bios settings ie boot order, sata mode, ram speed, etc.

#31 ·
You simply bridge the gap between the two pins for a period of 5~10 seconds.
Hey, after I reset the cmos using the jumper cap I realized that when I turn on the pc, there's no beeping sound (there's usually one beeping sound when I pushed the power button) but the screen still remained black and the optical drive's button won't respond, did it work?

#36 ·
The only way you are going to tell is by replacing the ram with ram from the qvl or approved list. I would really, really do the out of case build and follow the guide. Unless you test in a systematic manner, you are basically throwing darts in the dark; might hit something and most likely not. With the system down to the mb, ram, video, and pw supply, if it does not work, you know it is one of those four items. Replacing one at a time will allow you to find out which one is fried.

I overclock just about everything however I have a saying; "There is NO safe overclock. All overclocking entails some degree of risk and do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace"

#37 ·
The only way you are going to tell is by replacing the ram with ram from the qvl or approved list. I would really, really do the out of case build and follow the guide. Unless you test in a systematic manner, you are basically throwing darts in the dark; might hit something and most likely not. With the system down to the mb, ram, video, and pw supply, if it does not work, you know it is one of those four items. Replacing one at a time will allow you to find out which one is fried.

I overclock just about everything however I have a saying; "There is NO safe overclock. All overclocking entails some degree of risk and do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace"
So I basically need to take everything out of the case and test every parts one by one?

#38 ·
If you want to find out what fried when you overclocked, yes. As I said you need to test in a systematic manner.
Either test it yourself OR take the system to a shop and have them find the problem for you. Most shops charge 1/2hr to 1hr shop labor ie $40~80 or so for this service.

#42 ·
The price is reasonable however best buy is the VERY last place I would ever recommend taking anything for repair.
Up to you. I told you to go to a real shop [which will most likely charge about the same] At a real shop, you will find real techs. Again up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.