1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Suddenly Stopped Getting A Signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GleefulNihilism, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GleefulNihilism

GleefulNihilism Thread Starter

Alright, new to the boards and apparently a much bigger newb then I thought, because this one stumps me.

The problem is that suddenly my monitor stopped getting a signal from my rig. I didn't download any new software, I didn't buy any new hardware- just all of the sudden I'm surfing the web and my moniter turns off like I've hit the sleep button.

And it has yet to turn back on. I've tried rebooting, powering down completely then rebooting, opening the BIOS (which doesn't work because the screen doesn't even show me that), removing and re-inserting the video card, and plugging in the monitor cable into my laptop to see what happens (works fine).

As for details about my rig. It's an HP Pavilion running an AMD 64 dual core and a nVidia 9800 GT. It's an LCD moniter, VGA- though I'm using a DVI to VGA converter to get from the card to the monitor. Don't think it's a compatibility issue thought because, as I've said, I've run this set-up for a long time now with nothing wrong.

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

Can you see your POST?
    If so try hitting F8 at windows startup to access VGA Mode

Do you have onboard graphics?
    If so try using Onboard to eliminate the 9800

Try another monitor.

If your monitor has DVI use this insted of VGA (HD15)

c...

3. GleefulNihilism

Tried these things, none of them have worked.

Is it possible the PCI-E connector could have gone bad? What would that take to fix?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What Model HP Pavilion do you have?

5. GleefulNihilism

It's an a6050e.

6. GleefulNihilism

Also, did some tinkering- and I discovered that I can hook another video card into a different slot and it does work.

7. GleefulNihilism

Arg, found more bad news. An entire drive seems to be missing. It's probably unrelated, but still annoying.

Edit:- Nevermind, knocked a cord loose last time I opened it up to figure out this problem. Fixed.

Still having issues as to if and why my PCI-E slot suddenly went bad. Strong suspicion this is the reason, though not 100% certain. Any definite tests?

8. GleefulNihilism

Alright, probably going to get a better PCI video card tonight if I don't get any more ideas.

To sum up, my PCI-E slot appears to have stopped working. I have been unable to test the card in other computers but I do know for a fact that putting other cards in that slot will not work. My motherboard also has two PCI slots that appear to work fine.

The only thing I have to add is that I have tried resetting the BIOS by removing the little 3 Volt battery they attach to the motherboard for about 10 minutes and putting it back. No dice.

9. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Really the only thing you can do is try another PCI-E vid card in that slot, and see if it works - and also test your PCI-E card in another computer.

Sucks since you have to swap parts back and forth to pinpoint the problem.

10. GleefulNihilism

Already did the first, a new Vid Card in the PCI-E slot doesn't work. Don't have access to a second computer so I've been unable to try the second, though personally I think the odds of both being bad is pretty remote.

11. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

You may want to clear the CMOS and see if maybe you may have accidentally turned off the PCI-E slot?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice