1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor suggestions, non-apple

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by dcmetrobiz, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dcmetrobiz

dcmetrobiz Thread Starter

I need to get a second monitor (video editing purposes) for my apple desktop (Mac Pro, 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 5870) however, due to budget constraints I have been looking at dell monitors instead of the standard 27'' apple monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding PC monitors that work well for basic video editing needs (SD and HD projects, some color correction) on a mac?

2. dj-jamster

dj-jamster

Have a look on ebay for a 20" monitor.. If not I have the "ViewSonic VA1913w" from Staples its really good!

EDIT: this is not sold at staples anymore!

3. Headrush

Headrush

Pretty hard to judge monitors based on tech specs.

I've had several Dell IPS based monitors in the past and never had any issues and I thought they looked fine but I'm not a professional either. I will say that after switching to an iMac with the glossy 24" screen, I did find it much better.

When I researched my models I could always find some reviews online talking about deficiencies that I could or did not notice.

My suggestion, go into your local retailer and look at the selection there. Just make sure to use the front panel to reset the settings to get a realistic picture since stores often set things like brightness higher than should normally be used. Many monitors even have a DEMO mode that sets settings to high and aren't realistic to everyday use.

4. dcmetrobiz

Thanks for the suggestions guys, definitely helps give me a start.

5. dj-jamster

dj-jamster

What size are you looking for first?

6. dcmetrobiz

20'' to 24''

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice