1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, i finally got jipped. Someone traded me some computer parts, and I thought i was getting a cool deal, but I got a crappy monitor switch. I just hooked it up, and I'll try to explain what it looks like- the dark edges of any image are shadowed kinda, two or three times vertically to the right. I know it's not the cables, i purchased them today, and i even got two different brands just to be sure... they both produce the same results. It's giving me a headache! I also tried to fix it with the monitor controls, and the settings in control panel, but no luck there. Is it worth it to try and fix the switch box?
    in case anyone needs to know- i have a Viewsonic PF790 (CRT)

2. dai

dai

sounds like the tubes had it

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, i guess i hadn't made it clear that my monitor is fine.
    if i disconnect the switch box and plug my monitor directly into my computer, my monitor is crystal clear, no problems at all.

4. dai

dai

sorry misread it

5. Whitestar

Whitestar

U can try opening up the switch and clean it out. Other than that i dont see that theres much else u can do.

6. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

thanks guys, dai, i was in a bad mood- i didn't mean to come off so crabby... :)

7. dai

dai

no worries no offence taken

8. TheDJK

TheDJK

Did you check to make sure the pins on the VGA out are all present & accounted for (no pins bent/broken/missing)? Also, do you get the bad picture from all channels on the switch?

9. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, theres only to channels, and i tried switching them up...
    about the pins, my original vga cables has only 12 pins, the two i bought have 14 and 15, what's that all about?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice