1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor To Donate

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by BML, Jan 24, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

As you guys know from reading my post when my monitor went out, I decided not to repair it and to buy a brand new one. The repair shop gave it back to me. They want $90 to put in a new power supply/diode/eprom.

Now I've got this monitor sitting around which is in perfect condition if it would work. I'd like to donate it to someone or organization that can maybe repair it themselves & then use it. It had a pretty good picture & was only 1 1/2 years old.

I don't know who to donate it to. Not everyone is capable of repairing a monitor. I doubt Salvation Army will take it, will they?

So I'm asking you guys if you know anyone who would be able to repair & use a monitor. I guess this might not work either because I'd have to ship it to you and its heavy. But I need to get rid of it & it seems like a waste to heave it into the dumpster.

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

BML,

"I doubt Salvation Army will take it, will they?"

Yes, and that is the best place to take it IMO.......

DS

3. jakoval

jakoval

The other possibility would be if there was a technical college of some sort near you. The students could fix the monitor, then it could be used in the computer labs.
    Just a thought.

4. littlemar

littlemar

And in regards to the tech college there should be an instructor around to prevent the students from zapping themselves into the next county. Monitors are the hardest things to work on.

5. BML

BML Thread Starter

The reason I didn't think of them was i thought they wouldn't take "junk"....or broken stuff. How would they even fix it?

6. littlemar

littlemar

They can be fixed by a qualifed electrical PC person. Most just say to dispose of them. Cheaper to buy new then fix. You also have to find out where to dispose of it due to the environmental regulations.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

You could repair it, donate it, and take the tax deduction. The repair cost would be deductible as well as a reasonable value for the monitor, which is probobably around $250. Thus, with a $340 deduction, your actual cash savings is probably about a 1/3 of that, depending on your tax bracket, so you pay about $110 less in taxes. Thus, you've spent nothing in actual out of pocket expenses (or even made a few bucks) and donated a perfectly good monitor to charity.

8. deuce

deuce

Yeah... there's your option. You make $20 or so on it, bring a perfectly good moniter back to life, and then donate a perfectly good moniter to charity... and the end user of this intricate exchange is someone who gets a perfectly good moniter for real cheap. Sounds kinda like something out of that movie "pay it forward". I see four good :) coming out of that one... much better than ending up in a dumpster somewhere. :)

9. BML

BML Thread Starter

Deduction for Charitable Contributions does not apply to me, in my tax situation.

10. Rep

Rep

Not trying to set people off here but:

If you live near a prison, they may be into refurbishing. I believe in my state our prisons work on equipment, and then I think they are offered to schools, non profits, that type of thing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice