1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MONITOR too bright -could it be the computer itself?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by claudiamthompson, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claudiamthompson

claudiamthompson Thread Starter

I have a question for you,

Suddenly the lights started blinking in the living room where my computer is, and the monitor went out, then when I turned it back on everything was way too dark, and I couldnt get it back to normal.

Then I got a computer guy on the phone and he brought me over a white used monitor, but it was too bright. So he bought me a new one and hooked it up yesterday. This new wide screen monitor, its too bright also. And I cant figure out how to adjut the brightness. I tried, but the 'menu' thing doesnt seem to do what I want it to do.

ANYWAY, I went and looked on my computer at a template I had been in the process of designing a template for someone, I attached a screenshot of the template so that you can see what I mean. BEFORE all this happened, the buttons on the right were the same color as the background... now as you can see they are 'brighter'.

The buttons looked the same way (different color than the background) on the white used monitor that the computer guy had brought me as a temporary replacement.

Therefore, this is what Im wondering...

When the lights started flickering, and my monitor turned all 'dark'... could it have done something to my actual Computer Tower, the Computer itself, that would cause these graphics and everything to turn too bright?

Because it just seems odd to me that the white monitor that was brought over did the same thing; and also, I would think that on a brand new monitor such as this new wide screen monitor, that the 'default' settings would be perfect, and not too bright, if you know what Im saying.

COULD it have done something to my actual computer Tower itself? Can that affect the colors display on the monitor?

Because if THAT is the problem then no amount of adjusting the brightness on the Monitor will solve the problem Im guessing?

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It could be that your old monitor may have had improper brightness and contrast settings or was failing before it stopped working. This could have caused objects that were either black or a dark gray to appear as black. You may have thought that you were working with buttons that were as dark as the background when in fact they were not.

I just checked the URL shown in your screen capture and the buttons are in fact lighter than the background.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice