1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor traffic going in/out lan connection.

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Lou-55, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lou-55

Lou-55 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Does someone know of a program or application that allows you to monitor what traffic is going in/out the lan connection to adsl modem. I would like to be able to see what files are being transmitted or received, where they are going or where they are being read from on the HD. I know there are programs that allow you to see how many bytes are being moved but I would like to know the names and locations of the files.

Thanks....
    Louie....

2. CHRIS@BAD2BEEF

[email protected]

Traffic on the wire and the (possibly) related files on the hard drive have absolutely nothing to do with each other. If that is what you wanted to do, you would have to monitor which processes on a target machine are opening sockets, and of those that are, what files they are opening. I don't know of anything offhand that does that.

The traffic is easy enough to monitor with Wireshark or tcpdump for those who like the nitty gritty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!