1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor turns black?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Farmgirl22, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22 Thread Starter

I keep meaning to post this, and since it just happened, I'm going to do it now. :)

Once in a while my desktop (eMachine) will spontaneously "log off". After doing that, the screen (BenQ LCD) will be just a black screen with the mouse pointer on it. I can move the mouse and see the pointer move, but the computer will not give me the startup screen/desktop or anything else. The only thing that seems to get it back off of this screen is a hard reboot, which I dislike doing.

My tower doesn't blink or otherwise indicate that it's "sleeping/hibernating" (indicated by a blinking blue light and a blinking yellow light respectively), it shows the solid blue light as it does when the computer is functioning normally during usage.

What can I do to stop this from happening again? What is causing it? Thanks for the help--I'm sure it's not a "major issue", but it IS an annoyance. :rolleyes::(

2. Flags

Flags

Farmgirl: I suggest you take the side off the tower and check carefully all the capacitors on the mobo to see if any are bulged or leaking.

Next, using Device Manager, try updating your video driver, or use Windows update Custom Scan to see if there is an updated driver for your card. BTW, if you have card installed in a AGP or PCI slot, check the capacitors on it, too.

You can also run a Memory test as a bad memory stick will give you probllems similar to yours.

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice