1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Turns off, computer still on.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by yankzrok04, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yankzrok04

yankzrok04 Thread Starter

I need help... sometimes my monitor will just randomly turn off, and the computer is still on but the sounds from music and videos will sound garbled. The monitor has never done this, and this computer I just built from the ground up. Please if u can tell me what to do thanks. I also have updated everything, the video card wasn't overheating, same with the cpu, the temps were pretty low and I have disabled screensavers, power options for the display. I am using windows vista, and have gotten the latest updates as well.

2. Orumph

Orumph

I would maybe start with uninstalling sound and video drivers and reinstall.
    This could still be driver problems.

But, this could also be a power problem. I had my speakers plugged into a battery backup and the sound would get all weird on me till I plugged in elsewhere.
    Try plugging it into a different power outlet.

I would then maybe check the PSU, garbled sound and a monitor going out like that could be hardware related problems also. It's difficult to tell you where to start on this one.

3. yankzrok04

yankzrok04 Thread Starter

How should I go about checking the PSU?

4. Orumph

Orumph

One way is to get another known good PSU and put it in, see if the problem continues.
    Get a PSU tester, or possibly take the PSU to a shop and see if they have one they can test the PSU for you. It only takes a few seconds to test with a PSU tester.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice