1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor unresponsive with new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Okies, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Hi.

I got a Nvidia GeForce 6800XT to replace my Nvidia GeForce FX5200, but when I put the new card in and start my computer up, the monitor is unresponsive and blank, but I can still stick my old one back in and everything works fine. They are both AGP cards and I make sure they are seated right. They are both GeForce cards so video card drivers aren't a problem, and I even ran DriverCleanerPro before putting the new card in just to be sure.

At first I thought it was just a PSU problem so I bought a 400 watt PSU with 18A on the 12 rails to replace my 250 watt one which as far as I know should definitely be enough to run the card, but that didn't solve the problem, so I returned the card and got another one to make sure the card wasn't defective. Turns out that didn't work either.

I've also tried it on a different monitor but it didn't work either. On my monitor, when I try pressing some of the controls on it while its unresponsive, it says "In power save mode, press any key or move mouse to exit" but if I do it just goes back to a blank screen.

So... now I'm lost on what to try next.

The problem is getting really frustrating, and if anyone could offer some help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Welcome!

What you have failed to advise is if the PC is actually booting or not with the new card in?

i.e. do you get the startup single beep, and any startup music etc? If not, the problem is deeper than just the card.

If the PC is booting, is the default refresh rate too high for the monitor (assuming an LCD monitor, but again we don't know if that is the monitor type)?

Does the PC boot OK and display OK in Safe Mode with the new card? If so, set the refresh lower.

3. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for the welcome, this looks like a really great site.

Sorry about not giving enough information. My computer starts up perfectly fine, the only problem is the monitor. I don't remember the specifics on the beeps, I'll have to try again and see. My monitor is an LCD and I turned up the refresh rates up to the max.

Also, if it helps at all: everything in my computer runs fine with the new card, and the fan on the card even runs but the monitor just doesn't display anything and the light on it is orange.

4. xtreampb

xtreampb

u said somthing about drivers. Did you may be using a gforce card like b4 but you still need to install the drivers that came with the card. did you do that

5. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

They use the same drivers.

6. WhiteHat.exe

WhiteHat.exe

I experienced a similar problem before, and the fix (for me) was sismple. The place where I connected my monitor to my video card (also GeForce 6800XT, but PCI-e), I had not made a firm enough connection. By this I mean that the little blue connector with the screws in it, was not completely connected to the video card. I guessed this because when I turned my monitor with the cable disconnected, it provided a pure blue screen.

My stats:
    ASUS A8n-SLI deluxe (SLI)
    AMD 3800+
    GeForce 7900GTX OEM (2x for SLI)
    Hyundai LCD monitor

I USED to have 6800XT's, mind you. The card you used to replaced your old should work, but we dont know what motherboard you have. It may be an incompatibility issue with the mobo and vid card, or perhaps mobo and monitor (doubt the second one though).

My main question is: <b><i>What motherboard (make and model) are you currently using?</b></i>

I believe both nVidia and the manufacturer of your video card have lists of which motherboard/video vard are co they are compatible with.

try all of these. best of luck to you. =]

7. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and have not upgraded the motherboard. According to the program PC Wizard, I have Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp. 02Y832 with serial number 4CDK231. I don't know if that will help at all but... yeah.

WhiteHat I wish that was my problem, but my card connects to the board fine. Thanks you very much though.

8. WhiteHat.exe

WhiteHat.exe

ooh, yeah. Dell has OEM parts, naturally, and I think they usually go with Intel boards...however, I know that they tweak the bios with their own specialized configuration, so I wouldnt really know how to work with that (thats why I dont mess with my Dell laptop, LoL).

9. brite750

brite750

got to ask did you plug the power into the new card, some cards have a connection right on the graphics card you have to connect to the psu

10. brite750

brite750

something like this in upper right corner

Attached Files:

11. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Did a double post on accident.

12. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Yeah I plug it in. Sorry if I didn't mention that.

Nice picture though. :)

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Really?

LCD's will not work with "max" refresh rates, they do not need or like rates above about 72Hz, stick with 60 Hz (in safe mode).

What about the single beep on booting?

14. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Hi,

sorry it took so long but today I finally got to try again and it turns out there are no beeps.

I also turned my refresh rates back down, thanks for letting me know about that.

15. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Generally no single short beep = no boot.

So for some reason the card is preventing the PC from booting at all, not just that the settings are incorrect?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice