1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor unresponsive with new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Okies, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't really know what you mean by the "settings," but as far as I know the computer boots fine. All the lights inside the computer light up and all the fans are going and it seems to me like a normal boot up. The only thing not booting up is the monitor.

Is there a real definition for boot up? Because when I think boot up I just think the computer turning on. I apologize for my limited computer knowledge. ><

Thank you for continuing to help me.

2. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

When I boot up my computer with my old card and everything works fine I don't hear any beep...

3. brite750

brite750

either your case speaker is broke, not there, or not plugged in, there is suppose to be a short beep meaning your pc has passed the post = power on self test.

4. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

So is the case speaker on the motherboard? I have two plugs in the motherboard. A really huge one with a lot of pins and the aux plug.

5. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

I've turned my computer off and on several times and pressed my ear to the computer case (lol) but I never hear a beep...

I do remember hearing beeps sometime before though so I'm pretty sure I have a case speaker. How do I fix it? And do you need to know the beeps to diagnose the video card problem?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There is a very simple test to see if the computer has booted at least past the POST.

When you *think* it has booted, try the Caps Lock key, the Caps Lock light on the keyboard should go alternately on and off with each press. If it does not, then the PC has not booted.

You can never rely on the fans and lights to assure that it has booted.

7. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

My computer passes the caps lock test! Yay!

Now what?

8. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Someone suggested I try older Nvidia drivers and I've tried some around the 71.xx but that didn't seem to help...

Just a small update that hopefully will help diagnose the problem.

9. xtreampb

xtreampb

try a CRT moniter. One of the big bulky monitors.

10. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Just did and the same problem occurred.

Thanks though.

11. brite750

brite750

are you sure this new card is any good sounds like it broke

12. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

This is my second card. I got one with this same problem and tried a whole bunch of things, then I returned it for a new one and its still the same.

If it is a bad card, then I got two defective cards in a row.

13. xtreampb

xtreampb

does the on-board graphics work or do you not have it

14. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

What was the recommended psu spec from the manufacturer and did you wear an earth cable while instaling it OPPS :p

15. xtreampb

xtreampb

he dosen't have to wear one if he keeps his comp pluged in and touching the chassie the whole time. I have an earth cable but like i said in anoter post they are prob. goin to cancel my CET 1-2 classes :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: so we dont have earth cables (grounding straps if you didn't know)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice