1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor unresponsive with new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Okies, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

well did he do those things

btw why you so upset

2. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

I have a GeForce fx5200 and it works. I can still take the new card out and put the old one in and everything works perfectly fine.

Before I installed it I grounded myself so there shouldn't be a problem with electric damage to the card.

3. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Also there wasn't a recommended PSU spec but a 400w psu with 18a on the 12v rails is definitely enough to power a card like that.

4. seahawk

seahawk

Okie, Did you actually install the drivers from the disk that came with the card. You did not say you did this. You only said they use the same drivers. That is a red flag. I suggest, if you haven't already done so, reinstall the old card and install the drivers from the disk that came with the new card. Re-install the new card and try again. You also only tried a different monitor. Can you install the new card in another machine altogether to see what happens?

5. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

The card has the drivers for whatever card you have I think. When I put the disk in with my old card it said drivers for FX5200, not 6800XT. And they are both GeForce cards, which use the exact same forceware drivers.

I would try it in a different machine but I don't have access to a computer with an AGP slot that would have enough power to supply to the card.

6. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Today I got a computer to try it in and it worked, so the card isn't defective.

7. seahawk

seahawk

Okie, ""In power save mode, press any key or move mouse to exit" but if I do it just goes back to a blank screen."

Do you actually have the settings in "Power options" set for any kind of power saving? Also make sure "Power scheme is set for "Home/office" . Set monitor to "never". Even if it is, change it and change it back. Sounds stupid but this has worked for me on occasion.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce6_techspecs.html
    At the bottom of the page it states (3) for the 6800 series additional software may be necessary
    Can you find a list of drivers on the CD and specifically install drivers for your 6800XT?
    This is all I can think of. Sometimes simple can things trip us up.

8. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Hi seahawk.

I went into the display controls and there weren't any power saving options, but the power scheme was set to home/office. I also noticed there was a scheme that said "Max battery." What does that one do?

Also, I installed the drivers on the CD that came with the card, even though it said drivers for FX5200 (my old card that I'm still using until I can get the new one to work) and tried again with the new card but it didn't work. The CD is mainly for an overclocking program I think.

9. seahawk

seahawk

"Max Battery" is to maximize battery life for a lap top.

10. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

Only thing i can think off is that your power supply is to small or your slot for the card has been damaged. :rolleyes:

11. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Well the slot isn't damaged since I can still put my old back in and have it work, and the PSU is a 400 watt with sufficient power on the 12 rails so I really don't know...

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This post:
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/har...-computer-after-inserting-new-video-card.html
    on another forum has exactly the same issues, so assuming it's not you in both places, it would suggest that the Dell does not like that video card.

Dell (and other brand name types of PC's) usually have OEM motherboards and BIOS to match, which although they are a common make and model are specific to the PC maker in terms of upgradeability and what has or has not actually been enabled or even fitted. This prevents a large amount of call center traffic as it stops people upgrading bits and then getting instability, so they just make it impossible to add the "upgrade" in the first place.

I can't help but wonder if that is your problem?

13. Okies

Okies Thread Starter

Hi kiwi,

sorry it took me so long to respond but that is me.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice