1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Water Waves

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Semper90, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Semper90

Semper90 Thread Starter

Hi, Im new to this site and I've been looking everywhere for help. I just built my PC and have it a little over a month now. I play games like Crysis 3 Arma ll, BF3, GW2. My cpu is i7 3770K, gpu is EVGA Geforce gtx 680, psu 1200w, Monitor Acer 24in with 60 refresh rate. When Im playing these games, now and then on my monitor I will see what i can explain as thin water waves that go up my screen. This is not all the time but i have seen it more today, not sure if its just my imagination or what. I only see these waves while Im playing a game. While Im playing Crysis 3 it all seems fine but when i get to a cut scene and the it zooms in on the NPC i see a little wave on their face.

I tried using a different monitor and to me it seemed like it didnt happen as much. But the monitor that i tested this on was an Acer 20in, i believe it is the same model but smaller size. I was thinking that maybe these monitors cant handle what the 680 is putting out. Should i buy a new monitor with a higher refresh rate? Im open to all suggestions to try and fix this problem. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

2. BigTobster

BigTobster

You can normally change the Refresh rate within whatever OS you are using.

However...

It is more likely to be some sort of data exchange/bottleneck problem with your cable between your PC and the monitor. Are you using HDMI?

This link may provide enlightenment.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/343678-15-waves-screen

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As BogTobster has said, it sounds like a cable problem. As per his link, if you are using a VGA cable (blue ends) or even a VGA connection at either end (PC or monitor) try switching to the DVI or HDMI and see if that sorts it out.

4. Semper90

Semper90 Thread Starter

The 24in monitor is running on a HDMI cable and when I tried the smaller monitor I used a DVI cable. Both cables were plugged into the gpu if that helps at all.

5. BigTobster

BigTobster

You get the same problem regardless of the cable and the screen used?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice