1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor will not come on anymore

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rclemons81, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rclemons81

rclemons81 Thread Starter

First I'll tell you a little about my computer and then what happened. I'm running Windows 98 on a 1.4 ghz athlon processor on an ASUS A7M266 motherboard with 256 ddr ram; geforce 2 pro 32 meg ddr, 40 gig 7200 hard drive, xgamer 5.1 sound card... I think that's all the important stuff that might matter. I've had the computer for 3 months and it's been working fine..until the other day. I was playing an online computer game (counter-strike) and the screen froze..not much of a problem. I tried to escape out of it...no luck, then I tried control, alt, del. out of it...no luck, then I just powered off the computer by holding the power button. When I turned the computer back on, the computer seems like it comes on, all the lights and fans turn on and it makes the sounds but the monitor will not come on. All the connections are good and i've checked the boards, nothing looks burned up. I even checked the monitor using a friends laptop and it comes right on. I thought my video card might be faulty so I went and bought a new one and still no luck. I know a little about computers (i put mine together) but this has myself and everyone I've asked so far completely baffled. If anyone has any ideas...they would be greaty appreciated, I NEED my computer back. Thanks

2. RandyG

RandyG

Welcome to TSG!

If there were a problem with the card, monitor, or anything interrupting the connection to the system, you would receive a triple beep code.

When you boot up, do you get any beep codes at all?

Try removing the RAM and HDD and rebooting. Any beep codes?

It it possible that some element on your Mobo or CPU has burnt out. Athlones run very hot, and if you don't have enough airflow comeing in and out, then that may have caused it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice