1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Will Not Come On????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maximillion, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maximillion

Maximillion Thread Starter

Tuesday, I installed a new ram stick inside of my computer. Then turned on the computer and the monitor and the computer is running (I hear it) but the monitor just shows a black screen. I turned off the computer and monitor light was still green (meaning its on). I thought that was wierd. So I tried taking out the ram and putting my old one back in, didn't work. The same thing happens. Do I need another monitor, did I mess up something internally? What do I do next? Thanks.

2. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

Look in the mobo manual for the CMOS reset procedure and do that first. It's possible the new memory corrupted your BIOS settings. Install the old memory and boot your system. Tweak your BIOS settings to match your previous set up (boot order, boot from NIC, date, time ....) and let the system finish the boot and load the O/S.

Shut down after you have checked everything out. Install the new memory, making sure to fit it into the slots properly. Some motherboards are picky about faster memory, especially boards made 1998 to 2002. My old system did not like PC-133 RAM, but required PC-100 instead. It refused to boot with the faster memory.

You also need to make sure that the new memory is completely compatible with your mobo, not relying on the store's "expert". Some of them are not too bright. crucial.com and kingston.com both have memory configuration procedures on them.

Some systems REQUIRE pairs of memory strips. Make sure you get the right quantity.

If the memory is truly compatible with your system, it's possible it's DOA.

3. Maximillion

Ok. I'm gonna try that, thanks.

4. Maximillion

Well that didnt work. I'm gonna try and get another monitor, if that doesnt work I'll let you guys know.

5. Gnomad

Gnomad

When you took your new RAM out did you unplug your computer?

6. Maximillion

Yes I unpluged everything from the computer. Just not from the outlets. But nothing was plugged into the computer it self.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have tried the previously working ram and it now does not work, you have either not fully seated the ram OR you have damaged something inside the case.

Go back are remove all ram. Reinstall the ram that was working, making sure it is fully seated. Check that your video card is fully seated ie pull it and reseat the card.

Good luck and post back with results.

8. Maximillion

I'm gonna to try that as soon as I get home. Thanks.

9. Maximillion

I tried reinstalling the video card, it didnt work. Hopefully i can get a monitor tommorow and see if thats the case. I will update. Thanks again

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why not just connect the monitor to the system you are now using? This will show you if it is serviceable or not.

11. Maximillion

I'm using my phone to access the internet and post on here lol. I wish I had an extra system

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well I guess connecting the monitor to your phone is out :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice