1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor will not turn on

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lmcrjones, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lmcrjones

lmcrjones Thread Starter

I bought a computer from my job, and the monitor will not turn on. Can any one help me with this problem. All it will do is show a blue screen and say shutting off mode in 5 sec and then shut off. I can not program the computer or any thing. The monitor will not stay on.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The video cable may not be securely connected. Did it work before you brought it home?

3. lmcrjones

lmcrjones Thread Starter

I do not know if this particular computer worked. My job was selling old computers that were in the class rooms for a cheap price since we got new computers. I have made sure the connection is in correctly and tight. I can not get the monitor to do any thing. The hard drive boots up and the fan works, just the monitor say off mode in 5 sec and then turn off.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you can try the monitor with another computer--even a laptop--maybe you can determine whether the problem lies in the monitor, cable or computer.

For the computer if the video card is not integrated with the motherboard you could remove it and reinsert it firmly. And clean out the dust bunnies while you are there. :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is an old computer running Windows 7?

6. lmcrjones

lmcrjones Thread Starter

How can I test it with my laptop

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Many, if not all, laptops have a port for connecting an external monitor. There is probably a Function key for toggling among screen, external monitor, duplicate display and extend display. Or hold the Windows key and press p to get a little menu for those options (works in Windows 7; not sure about other OSes).

8. lmcrjones

lmcrjones Thread Starter

the monitor is doing a mirror image of my laptop right now. so the monitor works with my lap top.

9. lmcrjones

lmcrjones Thread Starter

The computer monitor is showing a mirror image of my lap top. The hard drive light is on and is running. Would there be a problem with the hard drive instead of the monitor.

10. lmcrjones

lmcrjones Thread Starter

I bought it for my boys to have something that I can teach them how to work a computer. They are very young, so they did not need a brand new computer.

11. lmcrjones

lmcrjones Thread Starter

How can I test the computer hard drive with the monitor. The monitor does not have a card, it is old fashion and just have the cable. How can I tell if the hard drive is receiving the monitor. Now the monitor is working fine with my lap top, just not with the hard drive it came with.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would suspect the BIOS or the display (video) adapter or the motherboard before the hard drive. When you power up the computer you never get anything at all on the monitor? If not, then either the BIOS or the adapter is having an issue, and you needn't worry about the hard drive or a driver. If you do get something at first--that brief display that tells you what keys to tap to get into BIOS or Setup or whatever--there is at least a little hope.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    By the way, normally the external monitor's display will be a duplicate of the primary monitor. If yours is displaying a mirror image (left and right reversed) that probably means some kind of problem with the monitor or cable.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice