1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor with a cracked case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JulesatA2Z, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JulesatA2Z

JulesatA2Z Thread Starter

Can't find any guidelines or anything on the web concerning the safety of using a (CRT) monitor with a cracked case. I did see a couple web sites which talk about replacing the case. I know that if the display itself is cracked, it must be turned in, and can be dangerous.

If anyone knows anything, I'd be really grateful for a response!

2. pinntech

pinntech

Theoretically it will not hurt you. Not anymore than other appliances, power wires and so forth. I am assuming that you mean CASE as in outer shell, the plastic part.

Have a good one and I hope you don’t glow at night! Only kidding.

Shane

3. JulesatA2Z

Yes, it's the plastic part, the outer shell...

It's not mine, it's my mother's...I really think that her cleaning lady accidentally dropped something and didn't realize that it did any damage...my mother only just saw it. So, I want to ensure that there's no danger in using it...

I greatly appreciate your response!

4. gmanwill

gmanwill

I've been using my 19in.dell for about 4 months now with a large crack on the bottom left hand corner,no problems so far.
    (although my wife said i looked like i was glowing other day,but that could have been the beer ha ha) I think you will be o.k.
    gman.

5. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

cracked case should pose no problem. as long as it still works. but if the crack does bother you. get some duct tape to cover the crack. cheaper than a new monitor...lol

6. timothye

timothye

hahahah duct tape ... the all purpose , magical fixing and a nice color as well ..

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd epoxy the crack and use it. Looks better than duct tape. :D

8. JulesatA2Z

Can the case crack spontaneously???

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

JulesatA2Z...

Hmmm...thinking about it, it may be possible...it would depend on how the monitor was assembled, if it were assembled in somewhat of a bind, then yes the heat could have cracked it ( and this depends on where the crack is ), if it is cracked around where the screws are, then it's possible. If it is cracked somewhere else, I kinda doubt it...

Where is it cracked at ?

10. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

if the monitor works, i would not worry about a crack. now if you want to spend the money for cosmetic reasons (ie: replace monitor because of crack).

Go right ahead.

As what has been told to you previously. there really is nothing to worry about.

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Not me, I'd use bondo. I'd wetsand it, primer it and give it a good spraying.

It may never work again after being wet and shot full of paint, but she'd look nice.

12. JulesatA2Z

I haven't seen it, since it's not mine, but from her explanation, I think it's about half way down on the right side, so that wouldn't be around the screws.

Thanks for the bondo idea...I think she'd prefer it to be FUNCTIONAL!!

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You must be one of those form over function guys. :D

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

JulesatA2Z, I really wouldn't worry about the cracked case. Not at all. If it were in the front of the monitor I might but on the side, nope. Monitors have holes in the sides anyway for ventilation.

Lets just say this one is well ventilated.(y)

Johnwill, you got me pegged.:)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice