1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor won’t turn on after update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Odesza, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Odesza

Odesza Thread Starter

Hey! This is my first post here so I apologize in advance if I make any mistakes. I recently moved and drove my pc and belongings to my new house, as soon as I got my computer set up I noticed that my FPS in steam games had dropped to about 15 in games where I would normally get 100-150. I couldn’t figure out what was causing it so I updated drivers and did some windows update stuff with it because I haven’t in ages but when my computer turned off to update it seemed to be rebooting over and over and the monitor was off. I let it go for a while but it never came back on and I shut it off. Now my computer seems to be booted up but my monitor won’t turn on, it acts like it’s on standby or there is no signal. Any help is appreciated thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I bet you plugged the monitor into the wrong port. Many computers have integrated graphics but if you are a gamer you probably added a dedicated higher performance graphics card. On the back of the computer you'll probably see two set of video ports, one set near the top with all the rest of the computer ports, and then one lower set. The lower one should be your graphics card that you need to plug the monitor into.

3. Odesza

Odesza Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the reply! Well I’m pretty sure I tried both ports already but when I get back home I’ll try that again. It seems like the monitor knows it’s plugged in but either the PC isn’t booting all the way or it’s locked in standby mode? Idk

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you confirm where it's plugged in? Please take a picture.

5. Odesza

Odesza Thread Starter

I can’t atm as I’m out in town but as soon as I get back I’ll send a pic of both ports, inside and out.

6. Odesza

Odesza Thread Starter

Okay I’m back home and I got the monitor to turn on by switching the hdmi slot like you said but now my computer blue screens on startup. It says that windows failed to start and it blue screens unless I choose to go into windows recovery mode. When I’m recovery mode it can’t automatically fix the problem and then I hit finish and it shuts down.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you by chance reset the BIOS defaults or got a message that settings had been restored to defaults? You may need to find the SATA mode setting, record what is it now and then change it to one of the other settings and see if it works. For SATA settings most systems have something like AHCI, Native, RAID, IDE, Legacy and maybe it reverted back.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice