1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor won't turn on after idle... or maybe just frozen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Beeblebrox, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beeblebrox

Beeblebrox Thread Starter

Recently our family computer has been acting strange. If left alone for a long period of time, it will shut down the monitor as it should, but when coming back and moving the mouse or pressing keys, the monitor won't wake up.
    I'm wondering where such a problem might originate. The computer does seem to be working, as the HDD led occasionally indicates action. When I plugged in a wireless USB mouse, it clearly started doing something, probably recognized it. But when I moved the mouse, no reaction on the monitor.

I have a Logitech wireless desktop set which includes keyboard and mouse and a receiver unit. They connect via PS/2. The keyboard is USB but the set included a PS/2 adapter. It looks like the receiver unit has lost power. There are no LED's lit on it (LED's indicate NumLock, CapsLock and special F-keys being on). I was stupid not to try and press capslock or numlock. I'll try that the next time this occurs. I did try removing the the keyboard and replugging it. Established the wireless connection and the F-keys lamp was lit by default. After replugging, I did press capslock, numlock and the F-key switch and they were all recognized and indicated by the LEDs in the receiver. Yet the monitor is not turning on.

I really don't know what's going on here. Is the system just frozen? Or could it be that some power saving thing turns off the graphics card output and fails to turn it on again?

Could it be some software run by a user? When this last occurred, my mom was logged on (although had gone idle). After a restart we went shopping for an hour and when we came back, the computer came back to life as it should and nobody had been using it (I was the only one logged on)

Any other suggestions to what might be causing this? More importantly, how to solve it?

Computer specs are as follows:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (2.6 GHz) with Zalman cooler
    2 gigs of RAM
    ASUS M2N-E motherboard
    nVidia Geforce 7950GT 256MB
    BeQuiet power supply (500-600W, can't remember)
    Windows XP Professional
    Logitech wireless desktop (can't remember exact model)

2. Duckman69

Duckman69

hmm, odd my screen doesnt accept either my mouse ingeneral or my usb mouse to come back into windwos from sleeper mode i usually have to press a key on my keyboard, but im sure you've tried that lol... umm maby you should try a regular keyboard if you have access to one doubt thats it but cant hurt... you might also want to just do away with sleeper mode and use a screensaver instead i mean its not that much of a money saver unless you run a bunch of computers in the house and have them all set up that way maby save a few bucks that way ... but if you want to disable sleeper mode goto desktop > right click > screen savers > power(bottom right) > system standby & turn off monitor = "never"
    hope i helped you some
    ~later

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice